1. The Forum has been upgraded to a modern and advanced system. Please read the announcement about this update.
  2. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle 9i installation on windows xp machine

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by sabarmathi, Mar 23, 2009.

1. sabarmathi

sabarmathi Active Member

Hi i have installed oracle 9i client on my windows xp machine.should I need to install the corresponding server on my machine to start working? If yes, the server is freely availbale to download? I want to learn java/j2ee. For that i need oracle. can any one please help me?

2. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

hi, you did not need to install the Oracle Client. If all you want to do is practice oracle queries on your pc, you need to download oracle database server and install it. Oracle database is available to download at the link below:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10201winsoft.html

However it's a heavy download so u better have a fast internet connection. It's very easy to install on a xp machine so you shouldn't have a issue.

3. sabarmathi

sabarmathi Active Member

Hi thank u so much for the quick response. After installing this database server will i be able to access(insert/delete/update) the tables from the java page? Thanks in advance.

4. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

yes it is very easy to connect to oracle with java , you have to use some code like, (not tested)
    Code (Text):

import java.sql.*;

class demo
    {
    public static void main (String args [])
    throws SQLException
        {

DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection ("jdbc:oracle:thin:@db_server:1521:orcl","scott", "tiger");

Statement stmt = conn.createStatement ();

ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery ("select * from employee_table");

while (rset.next ())
        System.out.println (rset.getString (1));
        }
    }
    Hope it helps

5. sabarmathi

sabarmathi Active Member

Thank you Sameer....

6. sabarmathi

sabarmathi Active Member

Hi Tyro & Sameer,

I downloded the complete package (Download the Complete Files) from the url you specified and i installed it on my machine. Now I'm able to see 'SQL plus' from start-> programs-> Oracle oraHome92->application development->SQL Plus. When I try to open the SQL plus its asking for username,password and host string..

What should i enter for the host string?

Please advice..Thanks in advance..

7. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

if your database is installed on your laptop you don't need a connection string, just enter scott for user and tiger for password.