1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

oracle 11g RAC

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by viper, Jan 22, 2011.

1. viper

viper Active Member

I have two pc's with windows server 2008 as operating system.I need to install oracle on both machines. I need to configure clustering on external storage. how can I do the clustering?

2. janste

janste Active Member

Have you at least tried to follow the installation guide.
    Normally you should give it a try and post your problems. Not the other way around.

Sadik likes this.
  3. viper

viper Active Member

I am installing it but I reach to a point where there are two options REAL Application clustering and another option so when i pick real application clustering it gives an error. Can you please give me the installation guide so i can progress in the installation?

4. janste

janste Active Member

Sadik likes this.
  5. viper

viper Active Member

I am installing oracle 11g r1 on windows server 64 bit but don't know how to create the nodes or to create a database please i need step by step guides because i am new to the concept of oracle.

6. janste

janste Active Member

To be able to help you need to post the error message. Normally it is because you haven't followed the pre-req chapter in the installation guide.
    You need to follow it step by step to be able to install without problems.
    You should also explain your steps so we know what you have done or not. The most important part of the installation is those chapters before you even start to install CRS/ASM/DB.
    You haven't even told us if your intending to use ASM or not.

7. viper

viper Active Member

I want the database to be on external storage device other than the pc's where windows server is installed when i create a database using database configuration assistant i have three options filesystem or automatic storage or raw devices I don't know which one to choose that supports oracle rac

8. janste

janste Active Member

I assume you have configured your external storage and already installed CRS (Voting and OCR) and ASM.
    Since your saying :
    "when i create a database using database configuration assistant i have three options filesystem or automatic storage or raw devices"

i also have to assume that you are at the last part, running DBCA to create a database.
    I'm attaching a step by step guide for window. It shows how to install RAC with ASM and provides detailed screen shots about every step.

http://www.goodus.com/knowledge_pds/13회 RAC10gR1_ASM_on_WIN64_ItaniumV4.pdf

If you have done all everything right up to DBCA and you have installed ASM then you should choose ASM when asked to select storage mechanism for the database.
    Normally you configure the disk groups +DATA and +FRA, then you have one for data and one for archivelog,redolog......

This way you create your database in ASM on your external storage.

I hope this would help you to get any further.

Sadik likes this.
  9. viper

viper Active Member

i still haven't installed the clusters (CRS) that is what I need help in I don't know how in the installation there are no options for real application clustering I have oracle 11g r1 STD

10. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Standard edition supports RAC but the clusterware is a separate installation. The link provided supplies all of the details.

11. janste

janste Active Member

Try to follow the step by step guide provided. It shows you how to install CRS with screen shots. If you have prepared you environment it will install CRS.
    You would need to specify location for OCR and Voting disk.
    If you have doubts post your exact position so we know where you are in the installation. It would also help if you post your external storage configuration.
    You should have a partition for OCR and Voting as well as DATA and FRA

12. janste

janste Active Member

If you don't understand the installation guide provided i recommend doing some reading about RAC and its components. It is a complex environment and the forum is for helping people with problems, not teaching RAC from scratch.
    We will off course try to help you but we excepts a minimum knowledge level.

13. viper

viper Active Member

I figured that I was using oracle 11g database and not oracle 11g clusterware. I am on windows server 2008 I have used the failover cluster management to create the nodes. The external storage will be on another machine having any operating system(windows 7,xp...) installed and the other 2 machines have on them windows server 2008 being linked to the database being found on the external drive. I need to create the database on the external drive, Need some help should i install oracle 11g database on the external storage and create the database there and how can I make a link to the cluster nodes found on the machines where windows server 2008 is installed. I need to make a link between the 2 cluster nodes and database created on the external storage.

14. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You install the 11g software on EACH node of the cluster, not on the shared storage. Each server must have its own ORACLE_HOME for 11g.

Why do you need a link? RAC is designed to allow nodes to connect to the storage directly if they are created as cluster databases so no link is needed.

15. janste

janste Active Member

If you read the installation guide provided you will find your answer.
    You start off by preparing your external storage, this is where your database will be as well as OCR and Voting disk.
    Next is to install CRS. That is done on your servers. You will do the installation on only one server but you will end up with one CRS_HOME on each.
    While you install CRS you need to specify where you have your OCR and Voting disk, use a separate partition for each in your external storage.
    Since you are going to use ASM next step is to install ASM_HOME, again that is done from one of the servers but agian you will end up with a ASM_HOME on both. Also here you will need to specify your +DATA disk group
    Final step is DB_HOME before you actually create your database.
    You will end up with your database on external storage while your CRS will run on both nodes with cluster reference in OCR and Voting.
    This is of course a quick explanation and you will also need to install ASM_lib in between the steps.
    That is why i urge you to read the provided installation guide and follow it step by step. There is no other way to install RAC and it is really important that you do the pre-requsited since the installation tool automatically installs on second cluster node.

your question tells me that you don't really understand the RAC concept so i would recommend doing some reading so you understand how a RAC is composed.

16. janste

janste Active Member

Any news about your install. If you still have problems please provide detailed info about what you have done before your problem. If you relate it to steps (chapters) in the provided installation guide it will be easier to guide you in the right direction.
    By the way, if your not an experienced Oracle DBA i would say you are digging into something difficult. RAC is complex and it is easy to get into problems if you don't know how the cluster works.
    I have seen to many bad RAC installations so if your intention is to use this in a production environment i would recommend spending some money on a consultant.
    This way you would learn and you would have a fully functional RAC.

17. viper

viper Active Member

Sadly I have little experience in oracle I am trying my best to install oracle 11g clusterware on windows server 2008 I have researched and found out that in order for the nodes to be visible in the oracle installation they have to be visible on windows server so I am trying to create the cluster via the feature on windows server called failover cluster management I have managed to create private network between the nodes and when I create the cluster and put the ip of the nodes I get that the node can't be reached. How can I configure the failover cluster on windows server ? I really need help and support.

18. janste

janste Active Member

This link should be able to explain the required steps to accomplish the pre-requsite:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14207/prewin.htm

The most important thing is that both nodes can be reached easily. It is also recommended that you use domain users (same user on both node) or locale users with admin priv on each nodes.
    Before starting the Oracle installer you can verify that you have necessary priv on the other node by entering the following command for each node that is a part of the cluster:

net use \\node_name\C$

where node_name is the node name.

Here is a link to set up the windows user account:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691(WS.10).aspx

Finally, do you really need a RAC installation ?
    Is this installation mostly for you to learn more about RAC or is the installation intended to be used in production or test. Normally a single instance will meet your requirements.
    With limited Oracle experience you are diving into deep waters. Normally you don't dig into RAC before learn how a single instance database work.

19. viper

viper Active Member

I have an external storage(simple share) linked to the local network I have managed to view both nodes but I want to view the disk. How can I view the disk in my installation? and How can I create voting disk or OCR disk on windows server?? I want to create and view voting disk in the cluster configuration storage of oracle clusterware

20. janste

janste Active Member

In the provided installation guide you see an example of how you set up a HP Storage with partitions for OCR and Voting. How you should proceed all depends on your storage vendor.
    Sorry mate, i cant really help you on this one. If you enable automount on your servers you should be able to see your partitions as they are mounted automatically.
    If your not sure how this is done i assume that there are other forums (Windows) where you can find your answer.

One more thing, your question is " I want to create and view voting disk in the cluster configuration storage of oracle clusterware
    I hope this means that your trying to partition your external storage and attach those partitions to your two server nodes. When your referring to "cluster configuration storage of oracle clusterware" your terms is not properly right. It is easy to get confused and start to wonder what your really want to do.

You haven't answered my question about the use of this RAC (production or testing) and if your needs can be satisfied with a single instance database.
    Based on your knowledge level i would assume your doing this to learn for and i would be happy to assist you further as soon as you have your servers set up properly.