1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle 10g Installation

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by OracleTechie, Oct 1, 2010.

1. OracleTechie

OracleTechie Active Member

Hello all,

Im new to the furum

I have recently installed Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows.
    I want to use SQL Plus and SQLPLus that come with this. It asks for a username and password. However i cant get passed this as it does not ask for a username and password at start of installation. I have read somewhere that I may just have the client.

In the past when using this at University I had a username and password set up and there were test databases such as 'hr'. I also remember having use to scott and tiger to also access this. Is there someting I am missing? I know there is but can you let me know where I have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance,
    OracleTechie

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Not really; you need to let us know what, exactly, you installed (db server or client). If you installed the server and created a pre-configured database from those included in the installation then you'll need to look in the any README files or included documents for those databases. You can, of course, connect as follows to a local database:

C:\ :> sqlplus / as sysdba

and presuming your environment is set properly you should successfully create a session. If, on the other hand, you installed nothing more than the client then unless you have network access to an Oracle database somewhere using sqlplus will be useless.

The .zip file you used to create the installation binaries will tell you what you've installed.

3. OracleTechie

OracleTechie Active Member

Hi David,

I got it sorted. On the Oracle website under 10g R2 downloads there is the client, which I have obainted and also Complete files. Complete files contains the actual database but the website does not make this clear. I have downloaded both. I altered tnsnames.ora and got Sql Plus to work but SQLPlus Worksheet would not work. It was throwing up error messages. After a couple of hours on the Internet I found a fix. All I needed to do was copy the altered tnsnames.ora file from the database 'NETWORK' folder and place a copy in the client 'NETWORK' folder. It all works now. I just need to download Oracle Forms to create my GUI.

This is based on having XP Professional installed and having client and database on your home PC/laptop.

OracleTechie

4. manikanta2007

manikanta2007 Active Member

thats wrong information