1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle 10g downgrade

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by adepro, Apr 27, 2009.

1. adepro

adepro Guest

Hello,
    I need to do a downgrade of Oracle 10g Entreprise Edition to Oracle 10g Standard Edition.

I will do it by doing an export from Oracle EE than an import in Oracle SE.
    Betwen the Export/Import, I will reinstall Oralce 10g SE.

Do I have to be carefull about something else ?

Thanks for your help.

Alex

2. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

Hi adepro, as you would be aware the only way to convert Enterprise Edition to Standard Edition is through the Export/Import operation as you have planned. Actually the problem lies in the fact that the Enterprise Edition contains lots of Data Dictionary objects which are not available in the Standard Edition. When you just install the Standard Edition software, you will end up with Data Dictionary objects which are of no use (or perhaps even invalid) and possibly create problems when maintaining the database.

When converting from Enterprise Edition to Standard Edition through Export/Import the Standard Edition EXP utility should be used to export the data and after the Import in the Standard Edition database, you need to drop all user schemas related to Enterprise Edition features, such as the MDSYS account (used with Oracle Spatial).

3. noufal_y

noufal_y Forum Advisor

Dear Genius,

If we do uninstall using OUI after taking FULL DB backup, and install standared edition, will it effect our application. FYI the application is not yet live.

Please advice me regarding this?
    I am under the situation to install Standared edition after uninstalling the EE.

Best Regards

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You do not want a full backup of your database, you want a full export of your database; an export is not a backup (in my mind) as a backup copies datafiles where an export copies database objects. As you've been told before take a full EXPORT of your database, downgrade the software installation then import the exported objects. You will have invalid objects/views as some schema owners are specific to the Enterprise edition (Tyro has mentioned these in his earlier response to you). Your instructions for this downgrade are:

1) Perform a full export of the Enterprise edition database.
    2) Install Standard edition software.
    3) Create a Standard edition database.
    4) Import the Enterprise export into the Standard edition database.
    5) Drop Enterprise edition users such as MDSYS (for Spatial).
    6) Recompile invalid objects.
    7) Test application against Standard edition database to verify functionality.
    8) Remove Enterprise edition software when testing is completed.

This is basically what Tyro has alread mentioned; I say it again because your response indicates you're not understanding the task.

5. noufal_y

noufal_y Forum Advisor

Dear Zargon,

This would be very much helpfull to me & having a little confution with the point num 8,

there is no need to uninstall the Enterprise Edition for the starting itself after a Full Export as you

adviced?

Regards,