1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle 10g Database Writer

Discussion in 'General' started by viral, Aug 6, 2011.

1. viral

viral Active Member

This is my first post under this forum, so kindly bear with me if any mistake done....
    First of all about the topic...I have just started playing with Oracle and I have this 10g. Now the first thing that I have come across is one of the Background Process Database Writer. I have come to know that, in all we can have 20 DBWn i.e. from DBW0 to DBW9 and DBWa to DBWj. Now the question that is coming here in my mind is is there any specific reason why Oracle took 0-9 and then a-j and not 10-19 instead.

Please let me know if there is any specific reason for it....
    Please do not tell me that it is something related to the binary calculation or HEX or OCTA or something like that.
    Hope to get the exact answer.

2. viral

viral Active Member

Very Very disappointed :mad: with the sort of attention that I have got here on this forum. I thought that the question won't be that tough to be answered. Well would like to have an answer if possible.............

3. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

You do remember that today is Sunday, don't you? And No, I do not know the answer to your question. And this is a peer support group and no one is under any obligation to answer you.

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

The internal limitations imposed by the Oracle kernel limit background process names to 4 characters; DBW10 is 5 characters, where DBWa remains 4. It all boils down to simplicity of naming in the code.

5. zargon

You will note that some questions remain unanswered in this forum; not every question can be answered by the volunteers here. And very few, if any, members visit this forum on Sunday. It's a shame you feel 'disserviced' by the membership here. Note that your question IS answered.

6. viral

viral Active Member

:hurray
    Thanks a lot for the answer.
    I really did not meant to make any offence here. I really needed the answer. I have seen some of the other forums, where response are not seen for days. I needed the answer on a quick note and I am happy to have it.
    Thanks again. :)

7. zargon

Explain why you 'needed' the answer. The reason for the naming has no impact on the actual database processes or the work they do.

8. viral

viral Active Member

I gave you the explanation for my RESTLESSNESS, as I really felt that I had made some mistake and I should have kept my COOL:cool: There were some of the discussion in my team on the naming convention and hence I thought of bringing the issue here itself.
    Hope to get the support from now on.

9. zargon

A complete description of the situation always helps matters; had you included the above information in the original post it may have prompted someone to attempt a response. We can work only with what you provide.