1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Oracle 10 g client networking issue

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by mimas, Dec 26, 2008.

1. mimas

mimas Guest

Hello all,

I hav installed Oracle10g on a RHEL4 using VMware but from Windows I cannot see the port 1521.

The thing is that a tnsnames.ora file exist in the Linux machine under /home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

BUT in my windows machine there is no tnsnames.ora under \oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\network\admin

How can I create it?

Thanks

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hi, if u are just missing a tnsnames file, you can copy any tnsname file (or any text file and name it tnsnames.ora) in the folder you have mentioned and enter the Servoce name, IP, port informations.

3. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

tnsnames.ora is basically a text file with this format

HOME =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dev.company.com)(PORT = 1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = HOME)
    )
    )

Replace HOME with your service identifier, dev.company.com with your database server's domain name (e.g localhost) and PORT witht the port to which your database server is listening on and SERVICE_NAME with your actual service name.

4. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

You can copy the same TNSNAME.ora file from the Linux server (may be with different Service alias) as susggested by sadik Plus another TNSentry referring to the Oracle DB @ Linux server.

NB : Normally TNSentry @ Linux server will refer to other DB service names.

5. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

What you will do with tnsnames.ora? Possibly you can achieve your goal without any tnsnames.ora

6. vaibhav

vaibhav Active Member

hi i a getin TNS name could not resolved....plz tell e the solution.....

7. vaibhav

vaibhav Active Member

hi mimas how to make use of vmware for the installation? i hav done several but not wit the vmware...could ypu plz guide me the same?

8. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

you get a "tns name could not be resolved" doing what? please explain what you are trying to do and where you get the error.

TNS name could not resolved means that you are trying to connect to a database whose entry is not properly made in your tnsnames.ora file. So check that out

9. Mirano

Mirano Active Member

Well, it looks like you have edited incorrect tnsnames.ora. I'm using multiple clients so my preferred solution is to define system variable TNS_ADMIN (Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Environment variables -> new variable TNS_ADMIN and path to folder where you have tnsnames.ora you would like to use) -- then relogin and retest again. It should work.