1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

ora-12154 tns could not resolve the connect identifier

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Anurag Tiwari, Apr 29, 2013.

1. While Logging in to a user throgh Toad/BODI ETL Tool, I am getting this error - "ora-12154 tns could not resolve the connect identifier". Checked TNS Names ORA file and SQL NET and everything looks fine. I can Login Directly in Toad using Host Name, Port and SID. But I am not able to login using TNS. Checked the Registry as well and Registry contain the ORACLE_HOME "C:\oracle\product\11.1.0" correctly. I have also created a registry entry under oracle as TNS_ADMIN with path as "C:\Oracle\Product\11.1.0\network\admin". Still it is not working.

Please suggest some solutions.

Thanks in advance :)

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Where is TOAD installed on your windows machine? if it's in "c:\Program Files (x86)" the problem is the () in the directory name. TOAD has problems with that location and, as such, cannot resolve the local tnsnames.ora file. You can download the junction.exe program from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx and use it to make a link (or junction) to the current TOAD installation in a directory that doesn't include () in the name ( such as c:\Program Files) then point your desktop shortcut to the linked location.

This is a known problem with TOAD.

3. Bharat

Bharat Community Moderator Forum Guru

I think we can uninstall it and again install it on another drive rather than Program files(86) which doesn't contains any braces.