1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified. In Actuate 10

Discussion in 'General' started by theImpact, Apr 14, 2011.

1. theImpact

theImpact Active Member

Ive read a few differeent threads about his problem. I have followed all the steps others have used to fix it but with no luck. I have Oracle 11g and 10g both installed. I am able to connect with toad to my work DB and with excel. However, when i try to connect with Actuate 10, i get this ORA-12154 message about not being able to connect. Both the tns names and sqlnet files in the admin folder for each client are the same. I have set the envionment varable to look at both clients bin folders, and I have set the tns_admin variable. Not sure what could be causing this problem and why it would only be with actuate? I have also checked the connection variables actuate is using and they are the same as what I ave in my tnsname file.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Set trace_level_client to admin in your sqlnet.ora file, then look for the trace file (or files) as you attempt to connect with Actuate 10. You'll likely find Actuiate is using an ORACLE_HOME where the tnsnames.ora file doesn't contain your db entry. Are the tnsnames.ora files exactly the same between the two installations?

3. theImpact

theImpact Active Member

Yes i simply copy and pasted the TNS file from 11g to the 10g folder ( everything was working fine before I installed 10g, had to install it because the version of TOAD I have a licenses to does not support 11g). When I open toad it allows me to connect to my DB with 10g but not 11 g (does not support 11g). Also, I can still connect to the DB using excel using 11g odbc driver but not with the 10g odbc driver?

I have a laptop that is configured exactly the same... only diff is the labtop is windows 7 32 bit and the other comptuer is windows 7 64 bit. The labtop connects with toad and actuate and excel just fine. checked all the environment variables adn connection files between the two computers and everything seems to be the same?

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Something is configured differently; check registry settings on both machines and also check the environment variables on both.