1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

ORA 00911: Invalid Character message appears on every database alter command

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by diveshishere, Mar 25, 2014.

1. diveshishere

diveshishere Guest

Recently, I did character set alter in my database to AL32UTF32. Now, I cannot run any command on my database. When I am trying to run an alter database command, it shows up ORA 00911: Invalid Character message. When I run startup mount command, it shows a series of inverted 'L'. I am a beginner with oracle. Kindly help me...

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

How did you alter the character set in your database? What commands/tools did you use? There is a proper way to change the character set; it appears at first glance that you didn't follow proper procedures. The instructions to do this are here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/ch2charset.htm#NLSPG182

Please report which release of Oracle you're using (and don't say '11g', or '10g' or some such as that helps no one, use the full four to five digit version number) and what steps you performed to change the character set.

We can't help you until we have this information.