1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

ORA-00018 leading to ORA-00447

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by hlrcof, Aug 8, 2010.

1. hlrcof

hlrcof Active Member

In one of our production DB (11g 11.1.0.7) we are getting the errors given below frequently disrupting the instance activity. The sessions and process values in our spfile is set to 1000 each. The DB isrunning on 64-bit Windows-2003 server having 8GB RAM. SGA_MAX is set to 2.5 GB.

ORA-00018: maximum number of sessions exceeded
    OPIRIP: Uncaught error 447. Error stack:
    ORA-00447: fatal error in background process
    ORA-00018: maximum number of sessions exceeded

The alert log indicates that W000 process died repeatedly. There are very few user sessions when the error occurs.
    11g 11.1.0.7 patch is installed over 11.1.0.6
    Pl suggest remedy for this.

HLR

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Increase the value for the sessions parameter then investigate why you have more sessions used than you expect. In low-usage databases where I work the sessions parameter is set to 1660, so it appears 1000 may be too small of a value.

3. hlrcof

hlrcof Active Member

Thanks. Increasing the sessions parameter is already in our consideration. I shall do the same and investigate. My doubt is that some background process is spawning too many system sessions.

HLR