1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

OpenofficeConversion Component

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by tejalmistry, May 29, 2009.

1. tejalmistry

tejalmistry Active Member

I need to download the OpenofficeConversion component.
    Can anyone suggest from where can I download it. I tried metalink/edelivery but could not find any information about it.
    I appreciate if anybody can help.
    Thanks
    Tejal

2. markH

markH Forum Advisor

Hi I presume you are using IBR and want to convert OpenOffice documents right? In that case you don't need an additional component. When you open the configuration Manager, In the options-->File formats, make sure that all the file extensions for OpenOffice Documents have proper formats mapped from the list above.

3. tejalmistry

Hi Mark, yes i'm using IBR and I dnt want to convert my OpenOffice documents. I want to convert all my docs into PDF format. I was reading the PDFConverter installation and admin guide for the same. There it is mentioned that the purpose of PDF Converter is to convert files from their native format to the PDF fileformat. This is done to enable viewing of the file in a standard web browser, and to enable indexing of content whose native file format is not supported by some search engines used in a Content Server implementation. Also it is mentioned that this component and this is the only option for Linux OS. For Linux OS we dnt even hv to install PDFConverter. Hence I'm looking for the mentioned component.

4. markH

markH Forum Advisor

Oh my dear you are on linux... :) Hehe.. pardon me but i am amused by the tough time you have ahead.

Ok coming back to the question. You of course need to install the PDF convertor to irrespective of the platform you are on, to convert your files to PDF. Now the thing is what you have probably got confused with is that when running on UNIX, PDF Converter uses OpenOffice to convert files to pdf. It's like when you are on windows PDF Convertor uses third party conversion tools like PrimoPDF and ghostscript to convert to PDF.

SO the bottomline is that

1. You need to install PDF converter component first
    2. You need to configure PDF converter to use Open Office (should be installed on the Linux server) to convert files to PDF.

and All the Best... :)

5. tejalmistry

Hi Mark Thanks for your help..
    however I wonder why you are saying I'll have tough time ahead :(..till now I've not face any tough time with My UCM Linux Instance..I would really like to know what you are referring about..So that I can be well preapared in advance..
    Thanks once again for your reply..

6. tejalmistry

Hi
    Also I would like to know how we can set up HTML rendition as our primary Web-Viewable Rendition.

7. markH

markH Forum Advisor

I was Joking... :)

You cannot have both PDF conversion and HTML conversion simultaneously. For HTML conversion, you need a component called Dynamic Converter. But why do you need HTML rendition?

8. tejalmistry

Yes I do understand that i can not have both conversion and I prefer any one of them. On the Content Action menu you get the HTML Rendition option right..I want to make it my standard option..I.E. whenever I click on my content ID the file should open in my web broswer instad of asking me to open or save teh file dialog box..I hope you are able to understand my requirement..:)
    Is it possible?

9. markH

markH Forum Advisor

yep i understand... and nopes that's not possible for YOU to do!! :p

Ah.. forgive my jolly mood today.

Anyways... what I meant was when you click on a link to a file in your browser whether a dialog box comes or the file opens within the browser is browser dependent and/or application dependent on individual machines. For example if you always want your PDF converted files to open within IE you need to

1. Start Acrobat Reader.
    2. Choose Edit > Preferences.
    3. Select Internet in the list on the left.
    4. Deselect Display PDF in Browser, and click OK.

So you see, it's application dependent. So you can't control what happens on your user's machine when he clicks on the web-viewable file link.