1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

New to the Oracle world

Discussion in 'Training and Certification' started by joeserrone, Feb 1, 2009.

1. joeserrone

joeserrone Active Member

Hello Everyone, I am new to the Oracle world, I have been interested in learning Oracle for years but everyone I talk to tells me I am better off doing it by attending a Community College or University because of the complexity of the material. In your experience, is this something that can be learned on your own, are there any good books (Really Good Books) that can get your started in Oracle without putting you to sleep? Are there courses out there or material that is good and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg?

Any insight you can give me is greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Joe

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi Joe, Firstly welcome to the community and thanks for asking.

When you say oracle, it really covers a wide range of softwares, applications and services. There are really a very wide range of opportunities over the oracle technology stack, ranging from oracle's flagship database technology to the spree of oracle's acquired products across it's middleware categories and then it's application's range from it's ERP product to the upcoming fusion technology. I am just trying to give you an overview of the scope involved when one says "oracle".

Coming to your point, whichever place you choose in oracle's tech stack, it wouldn't help you much without a graduate degree. In today's market scenario where there is a good availability of talent with shrinking job scenario, recruiters tend to place a lot of emphasis on experience combined with degrees and certifications.

Coming to the complexity of material, I am afraid, it's no more or no less complex than any other tech sector. What you would need to startup is a good pc and a good internet connections and a buy some good books. and yes some "really good books" are available which can get you started on your own.

Certification i am afraid would cost a lot. oracle's certification exams by themselves are very costly (at least by the standards in our country) and oracle's courses by oracle university don't come cheap. But there are some third party vendors that do offer competitive prices, and you will have to search for some in your country.

That's my insight for you, hope it helps... :)

3. joeserrone

joeserrone Active Member

Thanks Sadik,
    What books do you suggest if I wanted to start learning more about the Database aspect of Oracle, from a DBA prospective.

Thanks for all your help

4. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

hmm good books from a dba perspective, any book by Tom Kyte is worth it's weight in gold! but i believe we should have separate thread for this, where we can ask all members to list the best oracle books,

ok let me go ahead and do it.

5. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru