1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

New to Oracle SQL

Discussion in 'Interview Discussions' started by csulb80@gmail.com, Nov 19, 2011.

1. csulb80@gmail.com

csulb80@gmail.com Active Member

Hello all!

I've just recently decided to go back to school to finish up my undergrad in management information systems; I was working in Finance/Banking for the past 8 years(31 yrs old). To make a long story short, I am on the fence on whether I want to get into Networking and pursue my CCNP license, etc. or if I want to get into Database administration or a similiar entry level postion that leads to DBA. I've utilized my career center, as well as spoken with my Business Advisor but unfortunately, the information I've recieved from them is very broad and hasn't really given me any relevent information pertaining to any of the potetial career paths.

Considering the current economy, what would be more in demand when it comes to Networking, or Database/SQL related careers?
    Aside from the general courses i've taken in oracle for my major, I do not have any other experience. What are entry level positions i should aim for out of college for Database related careers? What should i work on right now and study as far as licenses, programming languages, etc? I'm sorry about the newbie related questions; I really have no idea what to do at this point, I'll be graduating next semester, and need a plan as far as what i need to study, what licenses to obtain, and general information on what I can do to make myself more marketable. Also, I would appreciate it if anyone offered any general jobs/positions and info so that I can research each and find out what I want to aim for as far as work.