1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Need Help writing query joining table to itself multiple times

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by sfs, Sep 9, 2011.

1. sfs

sfs Active Member

I have to write a query for a client to display business officers' names and title along with the business name
    The table looks like this
    AcctNumber
    OfficerTitle
    OfficerName
    RecKey

90% of the businesses have exactly 4 officer records, although some have less and some have more.
    There is a separate table that has the AcctNumber, BusinessName about 30 other fields that I don’t need
    An individual account can have 30 or 40 records on the other table.

The client wants to display 1 record per account.

Initially I wrote a query to join the table to itself:

Select A.OfficerTtitle, A.OfficerName, B.OfficerTitle, B.OfficerName, C.OfficerTtitle, C.OfficerName, D.OfficerTitle, D.OfficerName where A.AcctNumber = B.AcctNumber and A.AcctNumber = C.AcctNumber and A.AcctNumber = D.AcctNumber

This returned tons of duplicate rows for each account ( number of records * number of records, I think)
    So added

And A.RecKey > B.RecKey and B.RecKey > C. RecKey and C.RecKey . D.RecKey

This works when there are exactly 4 records per account. If there are less than 4 records on the account it skips the account and if there are more than 4 records, it returns multiple rows.

But when I try to l join this to the other table to get the business name, I get a row for every record on the other table
    I tried select distinct on the other table and the query runs for ever and never returns anything
    I tried outer joins and subqueries, but no luck so far. I was thinking maybe a subquery - if exists - because I don't know how many records there are on an account, but don't know how to structure that

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Post what you have written so we can see where the problem may be.

3. sfs

sfs Active Member

thanks for the response.

I've made numerous attempts to code this, these are the ones that produced some results
    This one skips all accounts where there are less than 4 owners and returns a row for every record in table E:

SELECT A.ACCT_NBR as "Account Number" , E.DBA_TXT AS "Doing Business As Name",
    (A.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| A.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| A.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| A.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "First Owner Name",A.TITLE AS " First Owner Title",
    (B.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| B.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| B.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| B.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "Second Owner Name",B.TITLE AS " Second Owner Title" ,
    (C.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| C.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| C.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| C.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "Third Owner Name",C.TITLE AS " Third Owner Title",
    (D.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| D.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| D.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| D.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "Fourth Owner Name",D.TITLE AS "Fourth Owner Title"
    from LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW A , LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW B, LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW C, LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW D, LIC_ACCOUNT_INFO_VW E
    where A.ACCT_NBR = B.ACCT_NBR AND A.ACCT_NBR = C.ACCT_NBR AND A.ACCT_NBR = D.ACCT_NBR AND A.ACCT_NBR = E.ACCT_NBR
    AND A.OWNERSHIP_ID > B.OWNERSHIP_ID AND B.OWNERSHIP_ID > C.OWNERSHIP_ID AND C.OWNERSHIP_ID > D.OWNERSHIP_ID
    order by a.acct_nbr

if I add
    SELECT DISTINCT to E.DBA_TXT AS "Doing Business As Name",
    the query runs for every and never returns

I tried do a Left Outer join, this picks up the accounts with less than 4 owner records, but still shows multiple records per account

SELECT A.ACCT_NBR as "Account Number" , E.DBA_TXT AS "Doing Business As Name",
    (A.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| A.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| A.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| A.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "First Owner Name",A.TITLE AS " First Owner Title",
    (B.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| B.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| B.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| B.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "Second Owner Name",B.TITLE AS " Second Owner Title" ,
    (C.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| C.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| C.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| C.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "Third Owner Name",C.TITLE AS " Third Owner Title",
    (D.OWNER_FIRST_NM ||' '|| D.OWNER_MIDDLE_NM ||' '|| D.OWNER_LAST_NM ||' '|| D.OWNER_SUFFIX_TXT) AS "Fourth Owner Name",D.TITLE AS "Fourth Owner Title"
    FROM LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW A
    LEFT OUTER JOIN LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW B ON A.ACCT_NBR = B.ACCT_NBR AND A.OWNERSHIP_ID < B.OWNERSHIP_ID
    LEFT OUTER JOIN LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW C ON B.ACCT_NBR = C.ACCT_NBR AND B.OWNERSHIP_ID < C.OWNERSHIP_ID
    LEFT OUTER JOIN LIC_OWNERSHIP_INFO_VW D ON C.ACCT_NBR = D.ACCT_NBR AND C.OWNERSHIP_ID < D.OWNERSHIP_ID
    LEFT OUTER JOIN LIC_ACCOUNT_INFO_VW E ON E.ACCT_NBR = B.ACCT_NBR