1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

My Oracle Support - New Look Metalink

Discussion in 'General' started by Sadik, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Oracle revamps Metalink with Flash

Going about some routine problem today, when I accessed metalink, I was surprised by a pop-up which kept asking me to install Adobe Flash. Seems like Oracle has revamped Metalink with customised Dashboards and lots of eye-candy.

[​IMG]

Oracle is still providing the option to choose either the new look or the classic metalink. However, the new UI took a lot longer to load and I could imagine my already impatient giving out grunts!

However once you are at it, the UI is damn cool! I didn't really notice any benefits in functionality however the focus seems to be on attractive usability.

[​IMG]

Guys, check it out and let me know if you find any functionality improvements.

2. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

Yes, it is a little slow to load, but once loaded it works almost twice as fast. Besides some of the UI changes make searching and selecting etc really easy. I give my thumbs up!

3. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

the idea of dashboards is really brilliant...

P.S. for the uninitiated, we are talking about Metalink

4. Anne

Anne Forum Advisor

Honestly, i am quite irritated with this new Flash version, specially once one is searching for a problem the whole interface creates a lot of mess on screen, also browser's text search, I mean CTRL+F does not work inside the the dashboards!!! Can you imagine that!!!

5. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

Oracle metalink was super slow. In terms of search engine and also in terms of loading page. After releasing new look it is super duper slow. As Anne pointed based on search feature it really irritates much. And another major things of new look according with classic one password entry need more time and password can't be saved now. Each page entry password explicitly need to type as well as cookie length is lower than previous, so need to type my password often.

New look is really cumbersome.

6. Sadik

I totally agree Arju, though there is the option of "remember me" while signing in, for some wierd reason when I am using the classic version it just keeps asking for password after every few times! don't know y!

For example, yesterday i logged in classic metalink and after a few mins when i tried to open a link of a document from within metalink, it redirected me to the new version login page!!! absolutely irritating

7. mikeyc7m

mikeyc7m Active Member

The only positive new feature is the "PowerView." You can use it to hide irritating information about products you don't use. Apart from PowerView I prefer the old MetaLink (even though it's awful.)

8. vaibhav

vaibhav Active Member

dud m fresher in ORACLE...wt exactly is dashboard? n wat functionality does it provide?

9. Sadik

well dashboards are the pretty boxes you see in metalink which display all your info. You can move them ,resize them etc... kinda pretty on the eye :)