1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Migration to Oracle

Discussion in 'Coffee Corner' started by vldpriya, Mar 4, 2011.

1. vldpriya

vldpriya Active Member

Hi,

I completed my OCP Certification (Oracle Developer) in 2008. Now i am working in sql server. Is it possible to move to oracle with sql server experience?

Pls give your valuable comments.

Thanks and Regards
    Dhanapriya V L

2. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Obviously . You can.

After all, SQL Server and Oracle are RDBMS ..

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

So you have Oracle knowledge from the OCP classes and are familiar with the product.

For a person with only SQL Server experience it can be difficult to move into Oracle as the basic operational principles and terminology differ between the two databases. You, however, have Oracle exposure and knowledge taken from the OCP classes so you have an advantage when moving to Oracle. It should not be difficult for you to work with Oracle databsaes since you are Oracle trained.

4. samihcl

samihcl Guest

Dhanapriya, both are rdbms and you did your OCP as a Developer so you can do both..but its not possible in OCP admin side..

Regds,

SAMI
    ORACLE DBA
    HCL HYd..

5. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I can list a number of RDBMS products but none are similar to Oracle in operation or technology so simply because one vendor implements an RDBMS doesn't mean that it operates in any way like Oracle. MySQL tried to do it but that is now part of Oracle (and still differs from Oracle in many ways), SQL Server has long been an offshoot of Sybase (until recently) with different operating characteristics, different terminology and in many cases far different behaviour from Oracle. I have used SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase and Informix and found that very little of the knowledge used for one can be applied to any of the others. Yes, the basic premise of an RDBMS is the starting point for these products but developers take their own ideas and interpretations of the ANSI/ISO SQL standards and provide varying implementations of standard functionality and object types which make each offering unique. Using and managing Oracle when the only experience a DBA has is with SQL Server is a challenge as many of the concepts key to SQL Server operation have no counterparts in Oracle, and vice versa. Going from one to the other is not quite as easy as one expects, as query optimizers are different, index structures can be different and behaviour with large volumes of data can vary. Just because they are both RDBMS products doesn't make this an easy transition to make, yet every other comment in this thread makes that assumption. Possibly the documentation for SQL Server should be read before anyone else decides to say this task is easy.

For the particular person asking the question my original response still rings true: You have certified with Oracle prior to using SQL Server, thus going back to Oracle should not be difficult since you've been trained in how Oracle operates. But this applies only to those in your situation; others who may have only SQL Server experience will find it difficult to transition to Oracle as many things change between the products and very few aspects of Oracle have similar offerings in SQL Server.

Simply because both are marketed as RDBMS products doesn't make them the same.

6. vldpriya

vldpriya Active Member

Thank you friends.:)

7. vamsi18

vamsi18 Active Member

No Problem you can migrate.
    Regards.
    vamsi