1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Material definition

Discussion in 'Oracle SCM & Manufacturing' started by Satish123, May 31, 2012.

1. Satish123

Satish123 Active Member

In Oracle Manufacturing or Oracle Inventory, I want to know if any constraints are there on how a material can be procured? The reason for my questioning is, for ex: today company procure a material 'X' from supplier, after some time company might decide to make it in-house. This way, the accounting also will change based on whether company decides to manufacture or procure. Is such flexibility available on materials

2. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Hello,

No such constraints. Each Item has several attributes which dynamically cater to all the requirements. R12 has taken this a step further syncing odm and opm and I suggest you read the manufacturing materials available on the forum. If you need anything specific request and I shall upload (make sure it is something Oracle has come out with- request with part number).
    cheers
    Ramji

Satish123 likes this.
  3. Satish123

Satish123 Active Member

Thanks a lot. Another request. I tried searching in forums for " manufacturing materials". Couldnot find the doc. Can you pls provide me the link.

4. money3388

money3388 Active Member

Hi Satish

The item could be both make item and buy item . But you should consider one thing , your boss may want to separate
    the cost . If we have only 1 item number it is hard .

5. Satish123

Satish123 Active Member

I didnot get you. If say I have a item whose is number "A123" in the database. Can I procure "A123" from market and decide manufacture it(A123) in house at a later point of time? Or do I need to create another material "A124" for the same item for using in manufacturing in-house?

6. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Sathish,

I will upload all the materials for you over the weekend (official Oracle student guides)
    cheers
    Ramji

Satish123 likes this.
  7. money3388

money3388 Active Member

Sathish,

You can have only same Item which is buy item and make item.
    or you can have two item , one item is buy item ,the other one is make item.

It's depend on if you need to separate buy item cost and make item cost.

Satish123 likes this.
  8. Satish123

Satish123 Active Member

Dear Ramji,
    Can you please send me the Oracle Student Guides?
    -Regards,
    Satish

9. Satish123

Satish123 Active Member

I need clarification on the following:
    1. If the item (X) is at a much lower level in the BOM. This BOM is attached to a work order and work order level we plan to generate requirements, how to tell the MRP program to generate an in-house requirement for the item (X)? Do I need to select each and every item in the BOM and specify that this item (X) needs to be for in-house development. Another item (Y), needs to be procured from outside, If both X and Y are defined as capable to be procured or made in-house.Our BOM are usually huge and run in thousands of numbers. How to achieve the objective of not creating two items for different ways of procurement and at the same time ensure that entire requirements are generated dynamically for all items in the BOM.