1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Log4PLSQL Log Generation Problem

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by astra, Aug 18, 2011.

1. astra

astra Active Member

Hello,

I used the log4plsql for logging all my pl/sql codes. Everything worked fine until the log generation:(. The logs are generated in hexadecimal format.
    The problem is coming when the lo4plsql java process reads the message queue (having logs) and write to the file. Basically, the log message datatype in log4plsql is varchar2 and java process stores it in string datatype after reading the messages from queue.

I found out somewhere that we need to set nls_characterset=UTF8 on database level. There might be some implications of setting this parameter.

Could anyone suggest how to proceed from here?

Oracle 11gr2

Regards,
    Amit

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Re: log4plsql!!

I am not sure if Log4PLSQL is still developed. Even their Documentation says that it was last tested with 10gr2. While I cannot offer any helpful comment to your problem but I am skeptical about how many people actually use Log4PLSQL these days.

3. astra

astra Active Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response!!

if this is the case, then how do we handle the pl/sql logging in production ? Do we write our own logging framework ?

Regards,
    Amit

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You may need to do so. Writing your own is a bit challenging however it can be tailored to your needs and you know it works as in-house changes can be made for specific releases of the database[ (if necessary). Check out Steven Feuerstein's website and books for hints and techniques to get you started.

astra likes this.
  5. astra

astra Active Member

Hi David,

Yes, I am already checking out, but due to time constraints i doubt that. Anyway, may be we will use the tips in the future projects!

Thanks again,
    Amit