1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

LISTENER problem at Port 1521

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Popeye.Tom, May 29, 2012.

1. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Hi guys,

How do I get 11g LISTENER to be happy at port 1521 when there was a 10g LISTENER at that port, even when the 10g LISTENER and all 10g services are already stopped? 10g is not de-installed, yet. I want to validate my Windchill upgrade to 11g before removing the 10g.

I installed 11g and patched it last week. I still have the 10g installed on the server, but it is not running. All services were stopped before running the OUI. I then used the Net Configuration Assistant to create a listener for 11g, default name, LISTENER, default port: 1521. Neither the OUI or the Net Configuration Assistant griped about anything. The new Windoze Service OracleOraDB11g_home1TNSListener service was created and started. Windows Server 2003, Std Edition, x64.

This all looked good so I move the necessary setup files and utilities for my 3rd party application, Windchill, over to the server and started their setup utility. Per their guide, Oracle was installed "Software Only". I now need to run their OCU (Oracle Configuration Utility) and it will create the database configured as required. But, it failed out, listener problems.

I then tried using the Oracle DB Configuration Assistant to create a database, sid=test. It too failed when it tried to actually create the database. Errors:
    ORA-00119: Invalid specifications for system parameter Local: Listener
    and
    ORA-00132: Syntax Error or unresolved network name 'LISTENER TEST'

I used the Net Manager to test the service, but it just goes away and I have to kill the process.

I used Net Configuration Assistant to reconfigure my LISTENER to port 1522.

I was then able to successfully use the DB Configuration Assistant to create a database 'test'. I would assume that I can now use the Windchill installer OCU to create my database, using Port 1522. But, I'd rather keep the port at the default 1521, so the next person to come along doesn't run into this. This value is stored in Windchill configuration files, specifically db.properties and for the most part it is insignificant.

Is there a way that I could get my TNSListener for 11g happy at port 1521 while 10g is still installed?

Should I edit <10g_home>\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora & tnsnames.ora to change the port number? Or is there something else I need to do to allow 11g access to a LISTENER service on port 1521?

Thank you,
    PT

2. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Running >netstat -aobnp tcp in a cmd shell reports:
    Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP 0.0.0.0:1522 0.0.0.0:0 Listening
    (TNSLSNER.exe)

TCP 127.0.0.1:4282 127.0.0.1:1521 SYN_SENT
    (extproc.EXE)

TCP 192.168.4.8:1522 192.168.4.8:4355 Established
    (TNSLSNR.exe)

TCP 192.168.4.8:4355 192.168.4.8:1522 Established
    (ORACLE.exe)

TCP 192.168.4.8:1630 192.168.4.8:1521 CLOSE_WAIT
    (emagent.exe)

The two entries in the netstat display have the port 1521, one with a state of SYN_SENT and the other CLOSE_WAIT. Should I simply end these two processes and then try creating my 11g Listener on 1521?

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Your OEM agent is expecting the listener to be on port 1521; if that port is available then reconfigure your listener.ora file to use the 1521 port after you shut down the listener on 1522. Restart the listener on 1521 and see if OEM discovers your database.

4. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Hi David,

The port wasn't available - not really - it was being tied up in the OS by those two orphaned processes, extproc.ese and emagent.exe.

I did go ahead and used Task Mangler to stop those two processes. When that was done, I used the Netconfig Assistant to Reconfigure the port to 1521 and the DBCA to delete the 'test' database.

I actually get the opportunity in the OEM agent to specify the port, but I didn't want to use 1522. After the reconfiguring of the listener to 1521, I was able to run the OEM agent successfully and keep the default specification.

This is still a test server, but if the upgrade test is successful, it will become the production server so I would like everything to be as compliant with default standards as I can!

Have a great evening!

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Hi David,

The port wasn't available - not really - it was being tied up in the OS by those two orphaned processes, extproc.ese and emagent.exe.

I did go ahead and used Task Mangler to stop those two processes. When that was done, I used the Netconfig Assistant to Reconfigure the port to 1521 and the DBCA to delete the 'test' database.

I actually get the opportunity in the OEM agent to specify the port, but I didn't want to use 1522. After the reconfiguring of the listener to 1521, I was able to run the OEM agent successfully and keep the default specification.

This is still a test server, but if the upgrade test is successful, it will become the production server so I would like everything to be as compliant with default standards as I can!

Have a great evening!

Cheers,
    Tom