1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

issue with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL when installing ORACLE on RHEL 4.7

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by amit_pansuria, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Hello I have application which previously was on RHEL 4.4
    In that case I m using LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 where as my kernal version is
    2.6.9 . Now when I install ORACLE after setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1. it will install successfully.

Now when I upgrade my O.S. to RHEL 4.7,
    In this case I m using LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 and where as my kernal version is
    2.6.9 . but when I install ORACLE after setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1.it will not installed successfully.

it will give me errors

database is not opened for the users

ORA-01017:invalid username/password ; logon denied

Now when I set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.6.9, then every thing will work fine.

I want to understand why this happen.

2. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

This is what Oracle recommends

[table]Operating System|LD_ASSUME_KERNEL setting
    RHAS 2.1|2.2.5
    RHEL3, RHEL4, OEL4|any value from 2.4.1 to 2.4.19
    SLES8, SLES9|2.4.21
    RHEL5, OEL5, SLES10|Should not be set[/table]

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 includes the Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL), a new implementation of POSIX threads for Linux. This library provides performance improvements and increased scalability. Even though NTPL is a feature of 2.6 kernel, RedHat had implemented it in 2.4 version kernel.

If an application does not work properly with NPTL, it can be run using the old Linux Threads implementation by setting the following environment variable: