1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Is it possible to upgrade 11g non-asm to 12c non-asm?

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by sunil, Aug 13, 2015.

1. sunil

sunil Active Member

Hi All,
    I have oracle 11g non-asm database. It's version is 11.2.0.3. So, i would like to upgrade to 12.1.02.
    Is it possible to upgrade from 11g to 12c?
    If yes, Could you please provide the documentation. As am not getting the exact documentation to work on it.

Thanks,
    Sunil

2. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

3. sunil

sunil Active Member

Thanks for the information Matthew. As am doing upgrade for the standalone databases.

Thanks,
    Sunil

4. sunil

sunil Active Member

Hi Mathew,
    Could you please provide suggestion as how i need to start the upgrades.Here is my situation.
    I have four 11g oracle databases, in which one is ready to decommission and other 3 are need to be upgrade to 12c. So, i would like to know from you, that which one would better to perform from below process.
    1) In this process, we are removing everything i.e VMware with decommissioning the one database. and other 3 database are ready to upgrade, if i want to upgrade, then i have to upgrade first decommisson one. then other 3 databases which are in live.
    2) All four databases are single instance and have no ASM. So, Can we upgrade these non-ASM oracle 11g databases to 12C as we are using disks for the data storage.

Thanks,
    Sunil Gowda

5. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

Sunil -- upgrading a production database is of low to moderate complexity, but it is extremely critical. A botched upgrade can result in a trashed database and irretrievable data. I will provide general suggestions on upgrading databases. I will not provide specific suggestions because I don't know enough about your situation to do so. Anyone on this forum who does provide specific suggestions with no more data than you have provided is not doing you a favor because they are doing so based on their own guesses and assumptions. To be clear -- I don't want more data about your system. I am not working for the firm that owns them on either a contract or consulting basis.

The white paper I provided in my first post discusses the various upgrade options, advantages and disadvantages, and provides links to the documentation for further details. The screenshot-by-screenshot example shown of a DBUA upgrade in the linked documentation is a single-instance non-ASM database, so if you'd read the previously supplied information, there would have been no reason to ask the question again.

6. sunil

sunil Active Member

Thanks Matthews and i got clarity now.