1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Is it possible to update our definition of the Accounting Key Flexfield

Discussion in 'Oracle Financials' started by Rango, May 13, 2015.

1. Rango

Rango Active Member

Is it possible to update our definition of the Accounting Key Flexfield (chart of account structure) to change which segment is denoted as the Cost Center qualifier?

Our current definition is:
    Segment 1 = Company (Balancing Segment)
    Segment 2 = Location (Cost Center Segment)
    Segment 3 = Department
    Segment 4 = Account (Natural Account Segment)
    Segment 5 = Future Use1
    Segment 6 = Future Use2

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

I suspect if the flexfield is one provided by Oracle then no. If the flexfield is one you created then yes. Keep in mind there are a ton of wrappers built for transactions that use those Key FFs and if you change the default segments you'd have to change the wrappers as well.

Bharat likes this.
  3. Rango

Rango Active Member

Hi, Thanks for your input.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Aren't all key flexfields provided by Oracle and the customer sets up the structures? What is meant by 'wrapper'? can you explain that further or give an example of what that means?

thank you.

4. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

Essentially correct but you said you wanted to change the Cost Center segment. So while you can define your KFF structure there are rules associated with the KFFs specific to each EBS application...and that's of particular importance if you intend to mess around with a KFF that came pre-defined with your app.

Your question is most likely addressed in the Flexfields Guide and the Tech Ref / Developers Ref for the product you are using. I'm not a Financials guy so I'm not familiar with the Accounting KFF...but I know there are rules to follow.

As for the wrappers, those are the PL/SQL routines used to insert / update / delete the row data within the application. For a pre-defined KFF (if this is one) then the segment in question MAY need to be in that position or the code wrapper can't complete its job. Again, it all goes back to how Oracle defined the KFF (if they did) in THAT application for use by you. The ref manual will tell you what you can change and what to keep away from.

If none of that applies then go ahead and unfreeze the definition, make your change, freeze it and go on your merry way. Just make sure you thoroughly test the bejeebers out of it...and do it on your Dev box first. ;-)

HTH

CJ