1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Installing Oracle Database 10g on Red hat Linux Operating System

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by Julian, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Julian

Julian Forum Advisor

The following points present an "overview steps" for installing Oracle 10g Database on RHEL.

Firstly you need to check whether the Red hat Linux operating system you have installed on your computer system supports installation of Oracle database 10g or not. Some of the certified versions of Red hat Linux operating system are Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. If you have different version of Red Hat Linux operating system then you will have to install any of these certified versions.

1. Once Oracle certified version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system has been installed on your system then you need to configure Linux operating system to support Oracle database 10g.

You should have at least 1024MB of RAM, swap space of 1GB, 2.5GB of free disk space for Oracle database 10g software, 1.2GB of free space for Oracle database and 400MB of free disk space for temporary directory.

Run the command,
    Code (Text):

grep MemTotal/proc/meminfo --[I]to check the available memory space[/I],

grep SwapTotal/proc/meminfo --[I]to check the swap space and [/I]

df -h --[I]to check the disk space. [/I]

2. Now you need to create user accounts and oracle groups to provide authentication for installing and maintaining Oracle Database 10g. It would be a wise decision to set a password for your oracle account. Then create directories where the software and database files would be stored.

3. Configure your Red hat Linux operating system kernel parameters. You do not need to reboot operating system for changes to take effect. You may check your settings by using the command,
    Code (Text):

/sbin/sysctl –a | grep parameter name.

4. Set shell limits for Oracle database 10g that is the number of files or processes that can run on every Linux account. With this, you have finished configuring Linux to install Oracle Database 10g.

Now, we can proceed to install Oracle database 10g by running the auto-installer. Unzip and extract from the zipped folder and start Oracle Universal Installer and follow the database installation steps below.
    1. Select the desired installation method, home location, installation type, DBA group, Global Database name and Database password.

2. Specify inventory directory path and group name for operating system.

3. This step is designed to check any errors or editing you need to perform for earlier steps of installation. Therefore, if you have successfully entered the correct information before then you would pass through these product specific prerequisite checks easily.

4. A list of selected products that you have selected for installation is displayed. Click on the Install button if all the choices are as per your instructions.

5. All the configuration assistants like Oracle Database, iSQL and Oracle Net would run automatically.

6. During end of installation, you have to execute some configuration scripts that are listed on the pop up window, which appears at this stage. Run the mentioned scripts by logging in as root.

7. Finish installation by making a note of presented URLs in the summary and clicking on the Exit button.

The installation of Oracle database 10g on your Red hat Linux operating system is complete and it is available for use now.

2. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

Though Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 is certified, still runInstaller fails while installing oracle red hat enterprise linux 5. In that case there all two alternatives. Either change the version or change the system prerequisite check.

For SUSE linux and RHEL 5 I have tried to solve this type of problem in post,
    Solving Problem on SUSE linux and RHEL 5