1. The Forum has been upgraded to a modern and advanced system. Please read the announcement about this update.
  2. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Installation of Oracle 10g on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by ksjj, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ksjj

ksjj Active Member

hi,

There is a proposal to buy 10 laptops in my office for use to work in oracle 10g and forms and reports developer 2000 . We already have desktops with windows xp and working fine. this is for the officers and i found all new laptops come with windows 7 and not with windows xp.

there seems to be a view that oracle 10g is not compatible with windows 7 and cannot be installed. is that true?

kindly clarify and can suggest some installation guide to do this. I did try searching in google. there seems to be mixed opinion on this. i am a little bit confused as i am new to working in oracle

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Re: How to Install Oracle 10g on windows 7

Hi ksjj

10g is just a Marketing version. When you say 10g which version do you mean?

Oracle 10g's earlier releases are not supported on Windows 7. However Windows 7 is supported for the latest 10g release. The following is from the Release Notes of 10g Release 2 (10.2) for Microsoft Windows (32-Bit)

Source: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/relnotes.102/b14264/toc.htm

So you can install 10.2.0.5 on Windows 7 32 bit and x64 just fine. Earlier versions are not supported on Win 7. Please note that through some tweaking, earlier Oracle 10g releases can also be installed on win 7 but that would be unsupported by Oracle and hence not recommended.

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Not quite true as I am currently running 10.2.0.1 and 10.2.0.3 along with 11.2.0.2 on Windows 7 and they are all running fine; it appears any release of Oracle from 10.2 onwards is compatible with windows 7.

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Interesting because the release notes specifically say that only 10.2.0.5 or later are supported on Windows 7. I think earlier versions are compatible but when installing they fail the pre-requisite check (which can be disabled though).

5. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I had no trouble installing 10.2 of any version on Windows 7 -- no errors on prereq checks. Maybe it's because I'm on Enterprise edition of Windows 7 ...

6. ksjj

ksjj Active Member

hi,

sorry for the late reply. I could install oracle 10g and oracle developer suite forms and reports 9i in windows 7 and is working fine with all those tweakings that needs to be done.

But now i am facing a different problem. Out of around 60 forms that i have two of the forms where all the prorceedures, functions and triggers are called do not open in windows 7 where it works fine in windows xp systems. i did try increasing the virtual memory and all those which the google says, but still not able to resolve this issue.

is there any compatibility issue which is blocking these two fmb files. the forms builder sessions itself gets closed when this form is called

could anyone pl suggest me the steps to resolve this issue

thanks in advance

7. kiran.marla

kiran.marla Forum Genius

I have installed forms and reports 10g on my windows 7 which does not works properly.
    I faced so many problems with this software on windows 7. Atlast The one solution I got is to remove windows 7 and installed XP.

8. Bharat

Bharat Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi ,

That's working fine with Windows 7 professional also. I think we need to run all updates for windows 7 then it works fine.

9. ksjj

ksjj Active Member

hi bharath,

could you please let me know what all updates that need to be done in windows 7 to make forms work. As kiran pointed out i did remove windows 7 and installed xp in one of the system and its working fine.

If you can spare some time and let me know the updates it would be fine

thanks in advance

10. Bharat

Hi ,

We don't need to update particularly, Just I got notifications as popup so I made them successfully all the time. And I installed them successfully as well without any hurdles. Can you post Which Windows 7 version you are using, just like Professional or Express edition or Standard version.

11. kiran.marla

kiran.marla Forum Genius

Is Forms and Reports are running smoothly on Windows 7 ??
    If Yes , Which version did you install Forms and Reports ??

When I installed in Windows 7, reports are used to hang and need to restart my Machine every time. That creates a Major problem to my work and removed
    Windows 7 by installing XP.

Waiting for Bhagat's reply ....

12. Bharat

Hi kiran,

I have installed Windows 7 professional service pack 1 and then installed forms and reports 10g version and they are running smoothly.

kiran.marla likes this.
  13. Bharat

Hi kiran,

Is forms and reports working fine with Windows 7 version.

14. kiran.marla

kiran.marla Forum Genius

No actually, When I was working on Client side, there is no time to do R&D. So Simply I removed Windows 7 and Installed XP. And also observed that Discoverer 10 version is also creating some problems by hanging now and then.

I'll check with Windows 7 and 'll update the result.

15. Bharat

Ya that's okay. Thanks for the reply.

16. Casper23

Casper23 Active Member

I learn a lot from this thread, I'm planing too to install a oracle for my laptop.
    I consider some information and given information are helpful and I want to try
    for myself to install oracle10g, just for experienced one of these days.

17. Bharat

Hi Casper,

That's pleasure to hear from you. Once you finish your installation please post the experience here whether you faced any problems or you installed it successfully. That would help others really.