1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification

Discussion in 'Security, Backup and Recovery' started by orafan, Mar 13, 2009.

1. orafan

orafan Active Member

hello,

A colleague of mine who was previously working in our company had taken a dump from JServer. The file is a .dmp file of almost 200mb. Now I have to import this dump backup file in the database. When I try to import from JServer, I get errors like this:

IMP-00010 not a valid export file, header failed verification
    IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

It's strange because i called him up and he says he has exported and imported many times. Does anyone know when this error occurs?

thank's in advance

2. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

OS of the machine from where you are try to?

3. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

As well as the exp version of the machine from where you take export and imp version of the machine from where you try to do import version. Also give oracle version and machine OS of source database.

4. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

There are basically 2 majour reason for the Error IMP-00010.

1. Dump file is Correpted or in in bad format . In your case , it could be transferred in ASCII mode and not in Binary mode during FTP transfer. In that the case re transfer the same file in Binary mode and try.

2. Version compatibility issue. Like Lower version of IMP utility tried to import higher version of export dump. eg. IMP vrsion 9 is used to import the export file of DB version 10. In that case, use appropriate version of import utility.

5. Arju

Arju Forum Expert

Also related several bugs there.

6. orafan

orafan Active Member

hey guys thanks..

Actually as Rajavu pointed out the problem was that the export was done from a later version of the export utility and i was attempting to import with an earlier version. So the lesson i learned is that, export should be done with the lower database version EXP utility (lower when you compare a source and a target database versions). And one should do the import using the target database version.