1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

I am looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Interview Discussions' started by claudengounou, Mar 1, 2011.

1. claudengounou

claudengounou Active Member

I am OCA for 10g but I can't find a job with that. So I wanted to know what else I can do as training or certification in order to be more attractive for employers.

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi, in my experience certifications don't land people jobs. However certifications are useful when your application has reached the prospective employer. The determining factor always is duration and quality of work experience. For freshers, my advice always is to start with whatever you can get for however bad pay. It's a matter of sticking it out for 6 months / 1 year / 2 years at max. Once you get good at the work you do, you will find no dearth of companies wanting to hire you.

All the best.

3. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Your post itself says that certification itself will no do the trick. You can get whatever certificate or training that you want. But what really matters is the quality of your work. presently anybody can get OCA certificate with the dumps available in market. An OCA certificate doesn't mean that you are fit for the job. What employers expect from you is the analytical and technical skill. OCA just adds some added value.

4. claudengounou

I just wanted to add the fact that I have a bachelor in computer sciences before the OCA certification. You know I am in cameroon and it's not easy to get a training course in our society if you don't know personally a responsable in a structure. So what I wanted from you it's to give me advice of what else I can do by my own in order to be more attractive for employers to get easily TRAINING COURSE

5. Sadik

Hi,

I appreciate your problem. However I really have not much idea about how things work in your place. Are there jobs available in oracle domain in cameroon? I would suggest to start from whichever position is available and work your way up from there.

6. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

ok. I met some friends Cameroon when I was there for our onsite project. They were working in MTN Cameroon in DBA level. It seems that it is training is very costly there for Oracle. Even they were planning to come to India and get training. I got suprised when thay told me that, even if you consider flight charges , Cost of training /certificates in India will be far cheaper than that available in Cameroon !!!

Here those people were working in Cameroon and they were planning for training for their better career prospective in Cameroon. As per my understanding there are lot of opportunities in Multi national companies in Cameroon for Oracle developers and DBAs.

7. Sadik

Ah... interesting. So that is what he meant by "TRAINING COURSE". That should be very useful info for claudengounou.

8. claudengounou

Hi!
    it's nearly one year that I had my certification but I can't even get a vocationnal training course. I know that MTN uses Oracle and I can't count how many time I applied for training there without success.
    You told me that you were in Cameroon, perhaps you can help by talking to someone in cameroon you know who can take me in his enterprise for a vocationnal training course without paying me.
    Thanks a lot.

9. Sadik

I understand your frustration, but I really don't think he can do that.

10. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Actually i was there in Cameroon five years back and I don't think I have that much influence on clients to ask them to give you chance of training. Anyway I will try to check with someone in Cameroon. But please do not keep more hopes on this. Still I believe , you can get some job opportunities later.

11. Apogee

Apogee Active Member

As other said, certifications are not the one and only solution to get a job. They can be quite useful in showing that have a standard education on your field but the interview process and related experience to the job you want are critical. You might also want to consider looking for jobs in other programming fields like C or Java as a starting point.