1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

How to use the club-oracle.com website

Discussion in 'Site Announcements and Feedback' started by Sadik, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Since most new people are not aware about the concept of Forums or a "Discussion Community" and cannot figure out how to use this site, I am writing this post for the benefit of the new members. This thread is about the main site, so if you are solely interested in the Documents Section, please read the Documents Section FAQs

1. What is this site?

This site is an unofficial Oracle forum. In other words, this site is a place where people connected by the various Oracle Technologies come and discuss technical matters related to their work with Oracle. This may be application development with Oracle Database or using any of the packaged software solutions produced by Oracle (like Oracle E-Business Suite or Primavera etc...)

The Forums consist of several "Forum Categories" as can be seen on the Forums Home Page. Discussions are categorized by these categories. We also have a Coffee Corner in case you just want to take a break and relax.

2. How to ask a Question

Firstly what is important is to know, how NOT TO ask a question. Read ON:

a. Do not use a "Private Message" to ask a question to anyone. Private Messages or PM for short are meant for communicating on private matters.
    b. Do not post your issue/problem on other member's profile page. For example, this is my profile page: Sadik. This is meant to catch up with people with a Hi, hello etc.

Ok, having got that out of the way, This is how to ask a question?

a. Go to the Forums Index page at : Forums Index
    b. You will see a list of Categories like PL/SQL, Backup and Recovery, Oracle Financials etc. Choose the most appropriate Category for your Question and click on the Category.
    c. The Topic List for that category will open. Here all topics belonging to this category are present. There near the top of page, you will find this blue button:
    button.gif
    Please click on this button and you will be taken to a page where there will be place to specify a topic title and write your message. Please be as Descriptive as possible in your title and give out as much information as you can in your message so that will help others understand what the issue is.
    d. Once you are done writing your message click on the button which says, "Submit New Thread". This will submit your message here at the site.

3. Very Important: Use the SQL Button if you are posting SQL code, else use the CODE button

More often than not, people are posting SQL code here at the site. This code is more readable when proper syntax highlighting is done. We have two buttons for code highlighting. If it's SQL code, select your code and click on the SQL button on the top right of editor buttons. (circled in red in the image below).

editor.gif

This will add the tags [ code=sql ] [/ code ] around your code. This is interpreted by the site as SQL code and appropriate syntax highlighting is done.

If it's any other type of code, for example VB or PHP etc. use the code "HASH" button # in the editor buttons panel to wrap the tags [CODE ] [/ CODE ] around your code.

4. Use Proper Thread (Topic) Title

The title of the thread (topic) you start should describe your problem or issue. It must not be "PLEASE HELP!!!!" or "URGENT!!!!" or "HELP REQUIRED..." Such thread titles are considered rude and your topic will most likely be ignored.

Instead your thread title should be "ORA-06502 When inserting rows in table from Procedure". Such a thread title exactly describes what you are trying to do and what problem you are facing and will interest people to reply to the topic.

5. Contribute an Article to the Article Section

The article section is a knowledge base of people's experience, tips and tricks etc. We very strongly encourage you to share your knowledge by contributing an article to the site here. You can contribute an article to the community by going to the Home Page Article Section and click on the "Write Article" button on the top right.

write_article_button.png

When you click on this "Write Article" button, it will open a new page with an editor. You need to write a proper Introduction, explanation, code snippets etc for the topic you are writing about. Please note that new articles are Moderated so your article will not be live on the site until I or another Moderator takes a look at your article and approves it. By writing an article, you demonstrate your strong knowledge on the topic to the community. You also gain 40 Recognition Points for contributing an article to the community.

As a disclaimer, Do not Post your Question as an article or as a comment to an existing article as it will then go ignored.

6. Club-Oracle's Rewards Regular members with Recognition Points.

As a best practice to all online communities, we too follow a points based system to encourage participation and reward regular contributing members with more privileges and recognition. For details about the Recognition Points system, please read this thread: Member Recognition System.

7. Community Manners

It is very important for new members to understand how a community functions. Members here are a group of oracle professionals who share their expertise and knowledge. We don't ask for money for support / help so Don't be RUDE, don't expect that it's the members duty to reply.

Also if someone tried to help you, try to help out others too. Don't just come to ask questions and never bother to read other people's questions.

Click on the "Say Thanks" button in the bottom right of each post if you feel the post helped you in some way. This helps other members gain extra recognition points and it shows your token of appreciation.

7. Update your Profile.

The My Settings section provides lots of features like Avatar, profile image, Signature, your yahoo, msn details etc. Use these features for your own benefit. Please select an avatar after registering as it gives a personal touch to your posts.

9. Give us Suggestions and Feedback

If you have any suggestions, criticisms, appreciation :) Please use the Feedback and Announcements forum to let us know.

Regards!!! and Happy Oracle-ing![/code]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    yowancristo, adon, KBDhamal and 53 others like this.
  2. orafan

orafan Active Member

Hmmm... ok will try to follow rules! ;)

ibbster likes this.
  3. brusko_zaragoza

brusko_zaragoza Active Member

got it. thank you.

gkkumar likes this.
  4. apps.scholar

apps.scholar Guest

hi guys!!
    we'll b asset to each other
    kudos

5. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

which asset, eam asset or FA asset? :p

6. salmankhalid

salmankhalid Forum Advisor

this is very much right we should all follow the rules and regulations....

7. ah.yasar

ah.yasar Active Member

okie .. thnx

8. vinay_ks

vinay_ks Active Member

i will do that,

9. suvaraj

suvaraj Guest

Rules are fine, i will adhere to it to the extent possible

Thanks

10. newbie_nz

newbie_nz Active Member

Hi,

I will do my best to follow the rules. BTW, used to spend a lot of time at LazyDBA until they decided that it is not free anymore ... hu hu hu ...

11. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

Yes LazyDBA used to be a very good site before. When I was still in college some years back, i was also regular there, but no more now.

12. APOLO_OSX2

APOLO_OSX2 Active Member

Ok, muchas gracias, cumplire alpié de la letra las reglas del Foro.

13. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi, is that spanish? :)

Sorry just asking!

14. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

15. pure_co

pure_co Active Member

thank you, ill do that

16. purnac

purnac Guest

I am new to this site.Interested in learning Oracle Apps. This site is really helpful for a beginner with onhand info.

17. Pragnesh

Pragnesh Active Member

Hi: I am new to this forum. I am working on Oracle Configurator R12.

Regards,
    Pragnesh

18. shiyasm_in

shiyasm_in Active Member

fine I will follow the rulesss

19. shiyasm_in

shiyasm_in Active Member

Privelage to send Links

Hi

Iam not able sent URL Links as it shows an error that I havent completed certain number of Posts.Plzz grant me the authorization to sent the linkss..its urgent

Shiyas

20. shiyasm_in

shiyasm_in Active Member

Hi

Iam not able sent URL Links as it shows an error that I havent completed certain number of Posts.Plzz grant me the authorization to sent the linkss..its urgent

Shiyas