1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

how to restore a functional .dbf and control file from scratch

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by meden, Jan 17, 2012.

1. meden

meden Guest

Setup: Windows 2008 R2 64bit / ORACLE 11g XE

I have a corrupt ORACLE installation with a consistent database, which I cannot access anymore. sys/system passwords are known.
    Can I backup/copy the files elsewhere and make a new ORACLE setup and restore the database?

Many thanks in advance for your support

kind regards
  2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Aurora, CO
    You shouldn't need to copy the datafiles anywhere, simply install Oracle in a new home (preferably a fairly recent release) then use the database upgrade assistant to move the database from the old home to the new home. If you have a known good backup of the Oracle home you could restore that to return to a usable software installation then you should be able to start your database and carry on as if nothing had happened. Another option might be to reinstall the Oracle software that is now corrupted in the same Oracle home; I would copy that home to a different drive or to tape to preserve what you currently have before overwriting it. And yet another option is to use RMAN to backup your database files, install a new version of Oracle then restore and recover the database under the new software installation.

Take care with any of these options and always back up your database BEFORE beginning any work.