1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

How to create Oracle database using Php code?

Discussion in 'Other Development Tools' started by gens, Jan 31, 2010.

1. gens

gens Active Member

Is that possible to create a new Oracle database using PHP code? I know that it is possible to create MySql database using PHP. I'm new to Oracle database. Thanks in advance.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

To my knowledge, no, it is not possible. Even though MySQL and Oracle command syntax is similar their database structures are not.

3. gens

gens Active Member

Thanks for reply!

I'm MySql + PHP developer for many years. Recently I just trying Oracle db. I have a MySql utility (PHP class) that performs common tasks like CREATE, DROP, ALTER MySql db (for remote servers). I just try to do that for Oracle db.

4. gens

gens Active Member

Hi zargon,

I also posted similar question to other Oracle forums.

But I got a negative answer from all of them.

However there was one positive answer from Oracle Press book author.

Donald K. Burleson (the book author of "Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference") said it is possible.

Please take a look at http://dbaforums.org/oracle/index.php?showtopic=19196

Do you believe that he just try to trick me into buying his recommended book?

p/s: Sorry, I just split my message into several in order to post a link to that author forum

5. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I believe that he hasn't read the book or the information page about it as there is nothing in that text that shows or explains how to create an Oracle database with PHP. The task is not possible; Don Burleson is incorrect.

6. debrah.h48

debrah.h48 Active Member

While the process of storing and retrieving data is at the heart of any dynamic Web site, professional applications require more thought and effort than these simple transactions imply. A crucial but easily overlooked aspect of data storage is protecting sensitive information—from passwords, to credit cards, to social security numbers—using encryption. Thus an understanding as to what encryption techniques are available in Oracle (via a PHP interface), and how best to use them, is important for all Web developers.

No "magic bullet" is available for encryption, however. Rather, a number of options are available, each differing in security level, programming complexity, and performance overhead. (Usually an inverse relationship exists between security and performance). Before getting into the details, you should also realize that security does not reflect a binary state—"secure" or "not secure"—but rather a spectrum along which each application should be placed as the needs and context demand.

For more information visit http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/oracle_php_cookbook/ullman_encrypt.html

7. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Debrah, i don't see how your post in any way relevant to the topic of discussion in this thread? Perhaps the link is somewhat relevant...

8. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Safia, please explain how your post is relevant to the topic of this thread, else your post will be deleted.