1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

How to control All Assets in the Asset Book to not calculate depreciation?

Discussion in 'Oracle Financials' started by yingsras, Aug 10, 2012.

1. yingsras

yingsras Forum Advisor

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell if there is any setup to control all assets for some asset book to not calculate the depreciation?
    I don't want to to uncheck the depreciation checkbox for each asset.
    Please advise...

Thanks,
    Ying

2. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Yinga,

Why do you need this? The Date that an asset is placed in service will determine the calculation of depreciation. Normally you have to uncleck the depreciation box for each asset. I think I have come across an API which does this for all assets.

Now the issue you need to consider is if you use the API to avoid depreciating all assets in a period and then you reenable the box later, you might end up calculating the differential and putting them in the subsequent figures which will vitiate the financials.

If it is purely for some come of adhoc analysis then I suggest you calculate depreciation for the period and make manual reversing entries without playing with the setup.

Do not look at it from a purely IT standpoint. An asset once you commission it will depreciate through its lifetime and this is spread over the different months. By intervening you will end up pucking the financials........
    cheers
    Ramji

yingsras likes this.
  3. yingsras

yingsras Forum Advisor

Hi Ramji,

Thanks for your answer.
    My customer have some book that thay don't want to calculate the depreciation.
    They have 2 Asset Books that after they add the assets to these books, those assets are not checked for depreciation.
    But after I setup the new Asset Book, then add the assets to this book, the assets are checked for depreciation.
    So I don't understand if there is any setup to control the depreciation by asset book.
    Do you have any idea? or it's the customization? I didn't implement for this site, just coming and be assigned for MA process.

Thanks,
    Ying

4. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Ying,

No standard setup. API yes I believe. Check this. Why do you need to customize?The requirement is out of ordinary.
    cheers
    Ramji