1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

How to Configure Toad for Oracle?

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by sidbajaj, Mar 29, 2010.

1. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

hi there,

I have recently installed the Oracle client 11g and Toad Expert 9.01. Initially the Toad was not recognising the oracle client and was throwing an error "No Oracle client found" when starting up the Toad. however, after multiple installations of the oracle client it is finally recognising the oracle client. However, I still have issues.
    1) I do not know how to create a schema on the oracle so that I can use Toad to connect to it.
    2) What do I do with the Toad Login screen? It asks for details like schema, username and password...tns settings and so on?
    3) Basically I need to have a schema in place before I can do anything from the Toad side. So i need what needs to be done from the oracle side and then what needs to be done on the Toad's side including configuring of the tnsnames.ora file and so on.

I have searched the net but didn't find comprehensive answers. Really hoping I would get some help on this from here.

I look forward to hearing back from any expert on this!

Thanks for your help and time in advance,

Sid

2. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

I tried the Toad just now and am getting the same error "No Oracle client found"

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

It appears you're a few releases behind on TOAD; as of last year TOAD was at release 9.5 and is now in release 10. Release 9 is unaware of version 11g and likely cannot recognize the installation. Upgrade your TOAD installation and the problem should go away.

There are schemas already created in Oracle (SYS, SYSTEM) so you can connect to one of those. You can also create a new schema for TOAD (there are likely provided scripts to do that for you).

Again, your TOAD problems are due to using an OLD release of TOAD. Upgrade to solve this issue.

sidbajaj likes this.
  4. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

I just figured this out myself and am downloading oracle 9i...wonder if that will work on a x64 windows platform. :S Cant upgrade to Toad 9.5 or 10 cause of license issues. Don't have $800 to spend on it. You got any bright ideas? I did search the net for cracks but none available.

5. zargon

I have no further input for someone so disrespectful of those offering assistance.

6. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

I apologise Zargon...I didn't realise I was offending u in anyway. Your response was more than helpful and assisted in confirming my hunch. :)
    Thanks! :)
    Though I did use the thanks button on the forum to thank you for your response. :)

7. zargon

Your 'You got any bright ideas?' remark was uncalled for in this exchange and indicated, to me, disrespect for those of us who attempt to assist when provided with sparse information. I appreciate and accept your apology.

You never mentioned this was a licensed version of TOAD; evaluation copies are available.

Yes, 9.2.0.1 - 9.2.0.8 work on Windows x86 systems; I presume you have no Oracle support contract and will therefore be 'stuck' at 9.2.0.1 ( a rather buggy release ). Your version of TOAD should recognize the 9.2 client installation. Are you installing just the client or the full database server software? If just the client then the lack of 'current' patches won't have much effect as the 9.2.0.1 client was/is reliable (the bugs mentioned affect the server, not the client).

sidbajaj likes this.
  8. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

Thanks Zargon! I got the Oracle 9i version installed on my machine and the toad is picking up the oracle client instance as well. However, when I try using the schema Scott / Tiger and press Connect, it gives me an error ORA - 12560 TNS: Protocol Adaptor error. What do I do from here to be able to create a schema of my own and also use the existing ones with the Toad?
    You help will be much appreciated. :)

9. Kirti

Kirti Forum Advisor

ORA-12560 indicates that the oracle client does not know what instance to connect to or what TNS alias to use. You probably have more than one Oracle Home. You should post the contents of your tnsnames.ora file and listener.ora files.

10. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

I had installed the oracle 11g but uninstalled it properly. Then got the Oracle 9i and it is the only instance which is there on my machine. How do i configure the tnsname.ora and listener.ora to get toad started?

11. zargon

The Net Configuration Assistant will set up your listener.ora file for you. As for tnsnames.ora entries you can use the Net Assistant (a different utility) to create and populate the file. You can also do this manually; locate the file in the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin directory and follow the example file provided in the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\sample directory or look online for any number of available examples.

sidbajaj likes this.
  12. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

ncie one zargon!! How do I create Schemas? I know there are already created ones...what are their credentials?
    Also, what value do I need to fill in the Toad Connection window to successfully connect to the schema?

13. zargon

Unless you've ionstalled the demo tables the scott account may not exist. That, though, wouldn't throw the ORA-12560; that's a configuration error in the tnsnames.ora file. Post your current tnsnames.ora contents so we can see where the error might be.

14. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

The Tnsnames.ora file is missing. I am reinstalling the Oracle client again. Once I have the installation completed I will post those details here.

15. zargon

Only a sample tnsnames.ora is installed with the client; you must create an actual tnsnames.ora file on your own using the utilities provided.

16. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

Oh! Since I am a novice in this as you would have already judged by now, can you possibly list down the steps I need to do in order to use Toad with Oracle client? I know that would be quite extensive but if I can get that it will be the best way forward. I look forward to hearing from you! :) Thanks a ton for all the info provided so far.

17. Kirti

Kirti Forum Advisor

in your network\admin directory, create a text file and name it tnsnames.ora (make sure you get the extension right) and put in this

Code (Text):
    IDENTIFIER =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (HOST = userid.myhosteddb.net)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = odb))
      )
    replace identifier by any name you like, put in the correct HOST name you gave during oracle installation and put in the correct SID.

sidbajaj likes this.
  18. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

I don't remember the HOST name...can i look it up from somewhere? Also, SID would be the schema? If so, which schema should I use and what will be the password for it.
    I just feel so helpless with all this. Greatly appreciate all the help! :)

19. Kirti

Kirti Forum Advisor

Here's one entry from this particular pc i am working on

Code (Text):

ORA11 =
     (DESCRIPTION =
       (ADDRESS_LIST =
         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
       )
     (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SERVICE_NAME = HOME)
     )
    )
    See the first ORA11 is the descriptor which can be user-defined. For you too since you are on a local computer host should work as 127.0.0.1, so should the default port. An easy way to check your SERVICE_NAME (HOME in the example above) if you are on a windows machine is to check the actual name of the oracle service in your windows service list. Just type services.msc in start menu-->run and find the oracle service. For example in my services list, the name shows as OracleServiceHOME. So my oracle's service name is HOME.

sidbajaj likes this.
  20. sidbajaj

sidbajaj Active Member

Thanks again for your prompt response. I did exactly as you said above. My TNS Names editor in the Toad is showing a green tick. Also, in Toad under the TNS connect tab on the Connection window is showing Ora11. I tried using Scott / tiger as the schema user name and password but it is throwing another error. The error being: ORA - 12541: TNS : No Listener. What to do?
    Also, how can I create my own schema? What is the role of tnsnames.ora and listener.ora in oracle?