1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

How to check cursor stats during Runtime ??

Discussion in 'General' started by ankit_203, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ankit_203

ankit_203 Guest

Hi
    I have a stored procedure running in which there is a cursor which fetches around 1500000 records and then query another table using the fetched record values.
    I cannot modify the procedure as its on production.
    I want to know which cursor record is currently being processed by the procedure, and how many are still remaining ?
    please provide guidance on how to check the cursor stats at runtime. I want to check upto which record the cursor has been fetched and how many are still remaining.
    I have cursor name.
    Is there some dynamic view to check cursor stats at runtime ??

thanks.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

No. You could check the progress through the v$session_longops view if the select is considered by Oracle as a long operation. If it isn't visible then you're only choice is to modify the procedure to either:

1) Write records to a progress table
    2) Instrument the procedure to write to V$SESSION_LONGOPS

An example of how to do the latter using DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO is shown below:

Code (SQL):
    [FONT=Courier]DECLARE
     rindex  BINARY_INTEGER;
     slno    BINARY_INTEGER;
     sofar   NUMBER(6,2);
     target  BINARY_INTEGER;
     totwork NUMBER := 100;
    BEGIN
      rindex := [COLOR=#0000ff]dbms_application_info.set_session_longops_nohint[/COLOR];

SELECT object_id
      INTO target
      FROM all_objects
      WHERE object_name = 'TEST';

FOR i IN 1 .. totwork
      LOOP
        sofar := i;
        [COLOR=#0000ff]dbms_application_info.set_session_longops[/COLOR](rindex, slno,
        'PSOUG', target, 0, sofar, 100, 'Pct Complete');

INSERT INTO test VALUES (i);

dbms_lock.sleep(0.25);
      END LOOP;
      COMMIT;
    END;
    /[/FONT]

Notice the two calls to dbms_application_info; the function call sets the index of the line to insert/modify in teh V$SESSION_LONGOPS view and the second inserts/updates the row to reflect progress. This example is found at http://psoug.org/reference/dbms_applic_info.html where you'll also find commands to show the progress of the script from another database session.

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

How does this apply to the original thread? This needs to be a new topic. Please repost this as a new thread.