1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

How do you manage TNSNAMES at your site?

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by raindog308, Nov 26, 2013.

1. raindog308

raindog308 Guest

I work for a large Fortune 500 company with many Oracle DBs.

At present, we maintain a local copy of TNSNAMES.ORA on each server, application server, and desktop. For desktops, it's only developers typically that care and we keep a "golden reference copy" on a network share they can copy/paste from. They're IT people so I'm not worried about them per se.

But for servers (database and application), we have headaches:

1. The files get out of sync. Not as big a problem as you'd think because there are hundreds of DBs and most applications only care about a few, but still not optimal. We want to do a general cleanup which of course means first harmonizing hundreds of files...blah!
    2. If you change an entry that lots of apps care about, it means logging in and editing hundreds of files. And of course, change control, etc.

Some parts of the organization used a "maintain a master, push it out" method, but this terrifies some DBAs because of its potential for large-scale problems if you introduce a typo.

So I'm thinking of starting a project to move us to LDAP. Unfortunately, the only real HA LDAP environment we have is Active Directory. This is supported for Oracle TNS but feels...well, weird :)

I've talked to colleagues and our local Oracle team and they say that most people manage TNS locally. Some use OEM to do the edits, but it's still a different file on every server. I haven't found anyone yet who's doing LDAP, which really surprises me.

So...how do you manage TNS?
  2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

At our client the DBAs have explicit control over the TNSNames files for the servers and they push the changes out themselves to all the servers that require it. Those changes are sent to us (the PC Tool admins) where we maintain a 'golden copy'. We currently farm that out to the PC loads of the Oracle Runtime clients...but for some folks that have multiple Oracle homes we'll build a TNS entry in the Registry to point to a central one.

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Aurora, CO
    DTSguy speaks for a good portion of the industry, I suspect, as every place I have worked where large numbers of Oracle databases exist use that method or something siimilar. The DBAs make the changes and test the new/modified entries BEFORE sending it on for distribution. It's a process that works well for large companies, even with multiple farms that may require different tnsnames.ora files.
    DTSIGuy likes this.
  4. dadbm

dadbm Active Member

Use Active Directory instead