1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Help Needed With Library Folders !! !!

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by ah.yasar, May 13, 2009.

1. ah.yasar

ah.yasar Active Member

Hi ,
    I need the procedure to do the following thing mentioned below ::

When ever we check in some file into the edms , the file should get copied into various folders of our choice with different IDs . (And when we edit any of those copied files , the other copies should not get affected ) .

Thnx ..
    yasar ..

2. imsean

imsean Active Member

hi yasar, that's not possible. Simple.

Firstly you are going against the basic philosophy of content server that there should only be one copy of one file. However if you must have multiple copies of the same file, technically it won't be possible with a simple procedure. Of course in theory you could do it, but it would be a very major customization which wouldn't be fool proof. If you ask me how,

1. Move file storage to database from filesystem, using the filestoreprovider component
    2. Write a procedure to insert in to all the tables that CS inserts into when you check-in a file.
    3. Write a custom component to execute on check-in button press service call which would effectively call your procedure with a query resource.

Remember that's only in theory! My advice, tell your client it's not possible! give a workaround.

3. markH

markH Forum Advisor

very good info sean...

to add to sean's reply, CS maintains revisions of files so that you can track changes in a file over time and record who is changing the files right? so if you have multiple copies you destroy the purpose. Why pay oracle then? you could just have a central storage server and give access through the network to all your users. Make folders on the server and have as many copies in as many folders as you want :p

4. ah.yasar

ah.yasar Active Member

thnx sean & markh !! :)

but we can manually check in the same file into many folders right ?? :confused:

those same files get unique IDs (Although their content is same , edms takes them as different objects ) !!

i think you got my point !! :(

so , all i want to do is check in the same file into different folders with a single check in sequence , unlike manually doing it in all the folders ..

so that , if the file gets edited in one folder , the other file stays as it is ..

PS: I read about this in some manual , but the procedure was not mentioned . So , im searching for the solution .. :)

regards
    = Yasar =

5. markH

markH Forum Advisor

well yasar there can be no system in the world which can be designed to stop deliberate manual errors. Well but of course functionally you may have a requirement to store the same file as separate content than the only way to do it is exactly the way you said : manually

I would love to see a link to that manual...

ah.yasar likes this.
  6. ah.yasar

ah.yasar Active Member

Hey markh !! :)
    Ill post the link when i come across the pdf again ..
    well , thanks for your reply again ..

7. guliflower

guliflower Active Member

I quess I have found what you are looking for
    http://blogs.oracle.com/kyle/2009/11/clone_your_content_in_ucm.html

And by the way, somewhere in the WebDav help literature they say, that it is possible to copy a content item from one folder to another (in Windows Explorer Interface) in two ways:
    1. Drag and drop, then the content metadata will be copied as well.
    2. By CheckOutAndOpen - then the document is opened in its native application and then Saved As in a new folder. In this case, it is interpreted as standard check-in and the default metadata for folder is applied.

8. ah.yasar

ah.yasar Active Member

Thnx guliflower .. :)