1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Hello - beginner wishing to learn how to write effective sql queries

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by uptothetop1, Mar 7, 2013.

1. uptothetop1

uptothetop1 Active Member

Hello,

I am basically a complete rookie when it comes mostly all things related to sql/oracle. I got a degree in business-finance and now work for a IT consulting company doing heavy analysis on data. I recognize how powerful SQL and databases can be and how essential they are now to every single business in the world it seems. I also consider myself to have fairly good functional skills and can easily convey what we need, why we need it, and what to do with it....the problem for me just comes down to getting this information.

I consider myself an expert in Excel but if I could add knowledge with writing SQL queries I feel that I could dramatically increase my productivity. So far I have a basic understanding of joins and where clauses with nothing too fancy...but this currently meets many of my needs. I would like however, to become as advanced with SQL as I am with Excel as I can see this again making me incredibly productive and that this is not a combination of skills many people have. I don't care, at least not at this point with many of the things I see on these forums as alot of this stuff seems to be way too advanced for me or unrelated to what I do but if anyone could point me in a good direction of books, websites, **examples*, on SQL queries problems and solutions I would appreciate it.

Again, at this point I am basically only concerned with writing sql queries.

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

Check out "Beginning Oracle SQL" from APress, ISBN 978-1-4302-7197-0

3. jonmax

jonmax Active Member

it is such a good information. i want required further information how we can used the join query in SQL in this format????

4. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

Huh? I gave you a reference to a book...so your question has no context. BTW, Joins are described in Chap 8 of that book reference.