1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Have you tried out Oracle 11g

Discussion in 'Coffee Corner' started by Sadik, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Being among Oracle Partner Networks, I keep receiving mails and newsletter from Oracle. Of late I have observed that most of these mails are sort of pushing 11g on us... Either it's about great features of 11g or how "Oracle Database 11g Adoption Continues Across All Industries" and so on.

I juts wondered how many folks are actually using 11g. So let me ask? Is your organization using 11g? or considering moving to 11g? or at least have you tried out working on 11g?

2. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

Nopes! our company is still stuck at 9i!! Personally, I have installed 10g on my PC but am yet to try out 11g, since my work is more around java and applications side I don't really feel the need to try out 11g just for the heck of it!

3. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Yes, Our Company started Working on 11g for its new implementation . But I haven't started playing with it . It is still inaccessible for me. I am still working on 10g .

4. debasisdas

debasisdas Active Member

We are on 10.2.0.4 only.

The migration from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3 was a big headache for us.

5. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Yes, Our product is benchmarked and Certified on 11g 11.1.0.7 release.
    I played around with it a bit as i was a part of the benchmark/certification.11.1.0.6 has uncountable bugs and 11.1.0.7 is much better as per my experience. There is a considerable difference between the two.

Regards,
    Prashant

6. ericb

ericb Active Member

I have installed Oracle 11g database for Oracle UCM. Oracle 11g has a new feature, called secured files. This feature makes it easier to save all kinds of files (word, jpg, tiff) as sort of lob-column in your database. In fact the files are not saved as lob but as the new type secured files. This types should make saving and retrieving files in your database as fast as saving and retrieving your files from your filesystem.

Allthough we are only testing with 11g, the first results are good. Saving and retrieving files is indeed very fast; it is also easy to get it working with Oracle UCM.

Oracle 11g is easy to install and get it up and running very fast. I am not a dba but the Oracle 11g Enterprise Manager (webinterface) is also very usefull. It makes it easy to create tablespaces, to start and stop the database, to control the security and so on. It is also very usefull when trying to manage your database from a client-pc. You do not need to logon to the database server anymore to work with dba studio. You can just use the 11g Enterprise Manager.

Allthough you need a real dba to do the real dababase administration work, this is the first database which makes it possible for developers or normal Oracle users to execute the basic dba tasks for 11g with the Enterprise Manager.

I am sorry if this post on 11g is a bit long, but I am enthousiastic about 11g. I have been working with 8.1.7, 9i and 10g for some time now but this is the first database which I do not need a dba to do some basis database tasks.

A last tip for people who like to use the Oracle 11g Enterprise Manager to execute tasks like starting & stopping the database: this is not possible if you have not done the following (this should be more or less the same for unix):
    - Start a remote connection to the database server.
    - Open “Control Panel” → “Administrative Tools” → “Local Security Policy”.
    - Open “local security policy” → “local policies” → “user righs assignments”.
    - Select in the right window the Policy “Log on as a batch job” and open it.
    - Select “Add User or Group”.
    - Add a local Windows user like the Administrator. It has to be a user with Administrator rights on the server.
    - When executing tasks and you need to fill in the Host Credentials, then use the user which has been granted “Log on as a batch job” on the database server and it works.

Eric

7. Sadik

Hey Eric Thanks for that excellent post... i have personally not yet experimented with 11g. But reading your post, i am feeling like i want to try installing and try it out because I am also not an dba. I too know my way around as much as any guy related to applications side may need. Who knows I might end up writing an instructions manual for 11g :)

8. M_Anas_O

M_Anas_O Forum Advisor

I installed 11g on my laptop...
    But then I realised that I will not get apps schemas and objects with it :) .... So did not use it seriously yet..

9. Sadik

Apps schemas? you mean oracle apps right. Well, they will only come if you install EBS on your laptop. I personally have been wanting to test with an EBS test install but haven't found sufficient time to do it! :(

10. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

We have at least one 11.2.0.6 database running where I work; I like the features and functionality.

11. M_Anas_O

M_Anas_O Forum Advisor

Yes, wanted to test with R12, but could not download EBS yet..

12. Sadik

It would be a nightmare downloading 50+GB of R12. I suggest you take it from your DBA :)