1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

free alternative to TOAD

Discussion in 'Other Development Tools' started by simona007, Dec 22, 2008.

1. simona007

simona007 Active Member

hello all, is there any good free or open source alternative to software tools like TOAD or PL/SQL developer.

Basically i am looking at some SQL and PLSQL development and also some administrative options like browsing schemas and tablespaces etc. Google search threw up something called dbSaint but i don't really know anything abt it. Thanks for your time

:)
    Simona

2. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

i believe there is also a free version of TOAD with some restrictions. Why don't you try that out. I never really about heard dbSaint so can't give you any pointers for that one.

3. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Hi ,

You can try Toad trial versions . Doesn't have much restriction for normal development activities. Doesn't even need to install Toad earlier versions. Just need to copy and paste.

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

surprise surprise.. has no one ever heard of Tora? Open source is the world's best movement if you ask my humble opinion. Yes this from someone who's neck-deep irnto oracle, ;)

that reminds me of mySQL, another brilliant open source product (now Sun has bought it over). Btw this website also has mySQL at the backend! Coming bacj to the point. Tora is a great alternative to TOAD, it's Open Source and it's free

5. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

I heard it before , but not as free Product . One of the contributor vendor is Quest Software, Inc ( Toad is also by the same vendor ).

I never tried. I have a concern on the following part in their documentation.

Btw, I assume 90% of Oracle Forum's backend is MySQL and not Oracle !!!
    ( Not sure about OTN Forums :) )

6. Sadik

hmmm yes, i did read this point but am not sure whether they mean that for windows executable installer or for source files which need to be compiled. I have a feeling the windows executable setup will work fine even without an oracle client.

However on second thoughts, i remember even when installing TOAD you do require an oracle client installed. because TOAD searches for the Oracle Home and the tnsnsames file. So it's no surprise that Tora may require an oracle client too.

Actually that's because you wouldn't find a web host who will offer oracle at the backend. We can't afford it! haha... :). I presume OTN runs on oracle because oracle would have their own servers (i think)

7. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

TOAD works even without an oracle client, at least the latest version (9 i think) works even though u don't have an oracle home set. You can directly give the IP and SID of your database server and it connects you through. Though in my machine oracle database 10g is installed, but i never bother to update my tnsnames.ora when i connect to a new database server because i just give the IP and SID.

8. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

Actually My concern was on this part of the quote ( not on oracle client )

ie. As per the documentation Oracle client of 8.0.3 Or 9.2.0.1 / 10.2.0.4 will not work ( rather may not work ) .

9. debasisdas

debasisdas Active Member

10. simona007

simona007 Active Member

hi everyone thanks for all the replies. I installed oracle client 8i and installed Tora. It's everything i needed and even more and working flawlessly. Thanks for your support

:)
    Simona

11. UnixGuru

UnixGuru Active Member

12. jeshvan

jeshvan Active Member

I liked DreamCoder for Oracle Free, you can you can download it from sqldeveloper.net site.

Regards,
    Mark :welcome

13. manik

manik Active Member

hello,

tora hey...think ill try that out...can any one snt me the dwnload link????...

14. Sadik

15. djbabu

djbabu Active Member

Hi ,

I use the following tools :

DbVisualizer - a powerful & free tool and you can use any database connection here...
    Sql Developer - oracle prefered good better than toad on execution & navigation.,

Hope its useful to you...