1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Finding database size

Discussion in 'General' started by Esparenza, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Esparenza

Esparenza Starter

Hello
    I'm quite new to Oracle. I recently started at my new job and am required to administer an Oracle database. Unfortunately I do not have access to login to the database for now (but will soon get access). I have a requirement to get the database size. Can I just get the database file sizes in Windows? If so, I understand that would be the data files (.DBF), the Control Files (.CTL) and the Redo log files (.txt)? Please confirm
    Thank you all in advance

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Yes, that's probably is what your supervisor is looking for.

3. Esparenza

Esparenza Starter

Hi
    zargon
    thank you for your reply. So my understanding is correct in that these files (data files (.DBF), the Control Files (.CTL) and the Redo log files (.txt)) "make up" the oracle database?

Thanks

4. zargon

Among other things, yes, they make up the physical part of the database; there are other parts, such as the memory structures and processes that access those files but those usually aren't the concern of the storage team.

Esparenza likes this.
  5. Esparenza

Esparenza Starter

hi zargon
    thanks alot, I'll get that info from windows then (for now while waiting for my access)

regards

6. zargon

Had you read the original post in its entirety you'd know the OP is still waiting for database access. Once she as access she can use that procedure to verify her findings.

Also this is not the forum to post random links to a training website that you seem to like; such postings go into the Training and Certification forum. If the link does not directly apply to the topic being answered it doesn't belong in the thread.