1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Execute stored procedure after interval

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by christian.delbianco, Aug 14, 2015.

1. christian.delbianco

christian.delbianco Starter

Hello. I am new in ORACLE - PL/SQL.
    What I need to do is run in a separate call or sql statement (in a separate thread) a task, job or what ever that after an amount of seconds call a stored procedure.

Also, this thread must be reset: this means that if I call again it, the timer must be restarted from zero, starting a new interval counting.

Is there any oracle way to accomplish that ?

2. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

Hi.

you can describe the task in more detail ?

in the oraсle of object a thread - no, therefore it is impossible to create a separate thread( suspend,resume and etc.)

1) if it is necessary to launch simply some procedure through time interval - it is possible to use dbms_scheduler

2) if it is necessary to realize interaction of processes, there can be some versions of decisions

Additional links:
    Examples of Using the Scheduler

Scheduler (DBMS_SCHEDULER) in Oracle Database

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

I'm with Sergey -- it's not really clear what you are trying to accomplish. At least part of what you are requesting seems to call for the use of the DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP procedure. This causes a PL/SQL procedure to pause for a specified number of seconds before continuing. For example:

Code (Text):

BEGIN
      DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('The time is now: ' || TO_CHAR(SYSDATE, 'HH24:MI:SS'));
      DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP(7);
      DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('The time is now: ' || TO_CHAR(SYSDATE, 'HH24:MI:SS'));
    END;

The time is now: 15:20:59
    The time is now: 15:21:06