1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Error in writing to directory /tmp/OraInstall2008-01-10_08-09-48AM

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by pradeep84, Dec 27, 2008.

1. pradeep84

pradeep84 Active Member

hi folks, i am attempting to install 10g1 on RHEL 3. The runinstaller fails witht he following message
    The directory is very much free and disk space free is more than 1GB. Morever the permissions of the directory are set to 777 so i can't figure out what's d issue here, any suggestions are welcome.

Istiyak.ctg likes this.
  2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hmmm, this looks like a permission issue. Are u logged in as root when running runinstaller? and is the /tmp folder chmoded to 777?

3. pradeep84

pradeep84 Active Member

yes i am running runinstaller as root only also the directory /tmp is set to 777. I am beginning to think this might be a problem with the jre

4. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

firstly, i hope you are not executing runinstaller as root, because it has to be done as oracle. But From what i can make out there's obviously some issue with your temp directory. So change the /tmp folder. Here's how to do it.

First, as root:
    Code (Text):

mkdir /newtmp
    then change owner of newtemp to oracle
    Code (Text):
    chown oracle:oinstall /newtmp
    next
    Code (Text):
    chmod 777 /newtmp
    then as oracle:
    Code (Text):
    export TMP=/newtmp
    export TEMPDIR=/newtmp
    Now try and execute runinstaller and see what happens.

5. pradeep84

pradeep84 Active Member

that did it!! i don't know how to thank u man! i don knw what went up with /tmp folder but this time runinstaller proceeded as expected!

Thanks again! :)