1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Error accessing database using VPN Connection

Discussion in 'General' started by pramod_kaphle, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pramod_kaphle

pramod_kaphle Active Member

Dear All,

Thanks in Advance,

i have installed Oracle 8i in my server computer. while accessing through LAN it works without any error. But i want to access the database and run some query through my VPN Connection then after executing 2-3 query successfully, it shows ORA-03113 : end-of-file on communication channel error. Plz suggest me why this problem occurs. Although there is no data lost found while testing Network.

Regards
    Pramod Kaphle

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You're saying the VPN works for other utilities but not SQL*Plus? Have you traced the client connection to see what Oracle is experiencing? in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin you will find a sqlnet.ora file -- edit this to include

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=ADMIN

then try your connection/sql session again. There is a reason for the ORA-03113; it may be due to port forwarding but we won't know that information until you trace the session and experience the error.

3. pramod_kaphle

Thanks for your reply.. but how can i trace the session?? plz help me out. I am new to Oracle

Regards

4. zargon

My prior response explains how to do this.

5. pramod_kaphle

I had already added the trace level to sqlnet.ora file, but still got same problem.? for your refrence i had attached a screen shot.

Regards

Attached Files:

6. zargon

You now need to look at the cli.trc file (it may have a longer name but it should start with 'cli' and be a .trc file) to see why this is occurring. Screenshots of the error won't help.

Please post the contents of the trace file.

7. pramod_kaphle

I could not find the file starting with cli and having .trc as extension. where does it locate exactly in Oracle 8i.

Regards

8. zargon

It can be found anywhere, but usually in the directory where sqlplus was executed. Since this is 8i ( a LONG desupported release) you are probably better off upgrading to 10gR2 or 11gR2. This is likely an unresolved bug in 8i and there will be no patch available.