1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

ECM Systems Architecture

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by rnavduri, Feb 21, 2009.

1. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Hi,

We are planning to setup ECM in our organization and as a part of it we have chosen UCM. We want to setup our test (IT, AT and ST) environment and production environment. I need some advise/suggestions how to define the system's architecture including hardware. I have looked at the Oracle cluster setup and it looks good to me but I need some hands on input from experienced folks.

Also we are planning to setup just one test environment and prod environment. I want to know your comments on this.

If you have any sample system architecture diagrams, I appreciate if you share those documents with me.

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

2. markH

markH Forum Advisor

3. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

thanks mark for the documentation link, I might give u a few pointers myself

This link might be a good read : http://www.bluestudios.co.uk/blog/?p=257

Secondly, I presume you have metalink access so take a look at Notes 447153.1 and 445378.1.

Finally, my current client uses a SAN architecture for file system storage where the content server repository is located while a windows server 2003 is used where CS services are installed along with the database. Hope this helps :)

4. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik & Mark,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have read John's blog reagrding clustering. Excellent source of information. From the diagram it looks like they have installed Content server in Webserver. In the Oracle cluster config document it is showing that content server is in between web server and DB & NAS. How did you setup your configuration?
    Also if you see the document (mark's link) from oracle it is talking about "FARM" which different from cluster as per the document I have read about FileNet setup.
    I have created a draft version of our system's architecture where it starts with switch --> load balancer --> two webservers --> Load Balancer --> Two content Servers (Unix boxes) --> SAN and DB (Both content servers sharing same SAN and DB). Let me know your thoughts on this.

Sadik: I dont have an account in metalink. Can you let me know how to create one?

From the links you have provided I am learning more everyday about UCM. Good job Sadik.

Rajesh

5. Sadik

Hmmm, I am not sure about the impact of having the CS and webserver on separate boxes. Why do you need that, though as a disclaimer let me mention that I am not a clustering expert (far from it) but to my practical knowledge, having CS and webserver on the same system has it's advantages since every request to CS would need to go through webserver.
    Thanks for the appreciation... hope u can help out others too here with your knowledge gained :)

I am surprised when you say u don't have an account with metalink. Isn't your organization using any Oracle product? Database surely... UCM is also a licensed product, so when u say you are planing to implement it, surely you will be purchasing the licenses from oracle. That will get you a metalink account, which is basically Oracle's support.

6. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

I agree with you for combining both Webserver and content server. That is how we are planning to do it. I think you have seen John's Architecture diagram, in that he has a separate server for conversion server with publisher. And Vault, Weblayout, Archiver and other things are there in SAN. And there is Oracle Access Manager for UCM user maintenance. I really liked this approach.

How it is setup in your organization in both test and prod environments.

I just got my metalink account and I will look at the things you have mentioned.

Raj

7. Sadik

Our test environment is well... pretty basic with a single server hosting everything! :) kind a crude but it serves it's purpose.

For production, our filesystem (which would include Vault, weblayout etc) is on a SAN. Our dbms, content servers (two), web server and conversion (two) (inbound refinery) service all are located on a single windows 2003 IBM X Series server with 8 GB of RAM. We haven't faced any performance issues as such with it. You can of course take out the conversion on another server which would help performance even better.

8. Sadik

You might want to take a look at the latest UCM Certification Matrix for supported systems.

Attached Files: