1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

E-Business Suite Cannot get Connection to Database

Discussion in 'System Administration & Application DBA' started by mimi_miao, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

The problem is I can get thru OAM but not in E-Business Suite Homepage and CRM Home Page. I cant even get thru Web-ADI to create a new document...
    I dont know whats the problem it just says 'Cannot get Connection to the Database' or 'Cannot get a JDBCConnection'...

Please someone help me...
    Our DBA resigned and I can no longer contact her... Duh... :mad:

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hi, can you connect to the database remotely? through TOAD or SQL plus? check whether the rdbms listener is running or not..

3. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

yes... I can even connect to Oracle application, by the way Im using General Ledger 11i... thou it's not a really big issue if I cant connect to E-business suite and Web-ADI, I just want to resolve the issue...
    Im handling the system and database administration of it since the real DBA resigned and I dont have any background about it...

4. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

by the way, I checked the concurrent managers, and I figured out the the apache listener is down and some of the internal monitors (we have 2 internal monitors), I dont know or sure if its related to my problem and I also want to know if I have to activate these managers... Hope you'll give me a hand... thanks!

5. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

no Sadik didn't mean connect to Oracle Application. He meant can you remotely connect to the database? forget oracle application, start SQL plus and try to connect to your APPS Database. I hope you know how to use SQL Plus.

If you can't connect, check your services and whether the TNS Listener is running or not. BTW what OS are u running. If it's Windows Server , you can check whether TNS Listener is running or not through the services in control panel. On Linux you can use chkconfig --list to check the status of services

6. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

I can connect to database... I can connect to APPS database...
    and the OS of the database is (unix)

7. Sadik

In that case were you able to connect to E - Business Suite homepage before? if yes what changes have been performed recently?

Are you able to login directly onto forms? try http://yoursite.com: port/dev60cgi/f60cgi
    and see if you can login with your username and password. If yes, the problem wis with your Apache... You can bounce your apache and see

8. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

hi have u tried the dev60cgi/f60cgi login? can u check the Apache error logs and see if there's anything there

9. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

gee... I dont know how to bounce the apache...
    and I think the apache is deactivated since the server was re-started.

10. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

I can log in dev60cgi... but I dont know how to check the apache logs...
    Im sorry Im such a novie to it... I really have no background about it...
    Im just educating my self thru metalinks and e-books around the web...

11. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

hmmm since you can log into oracle apps using dev60cgi/f60cgi so your connection to the database is just fine. Your apache is probably not started. What operating system you are on. (saying Unix doesn't help much!)

I presume you have remote login access to the server. When you login, it should display what OS you are running. Else try uname -a on the command prompt. In either case, you actually need to find your apache (or whichever webserver you are running) startup script.

If it's apache, you can also just locate the apachectl file. It's location varies according to the variant of OS. you need to execute the following command
    Code (Text):

apachectl resart

If all this seems overwhelming, please consult someone who manages servers in your organization. It's all really very simple

12. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

OS is Solaris 9...
    I suppose I have to restart apache using an .sh file...

13. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

ok... I found that apachectl file then I tried to restart it... then it comes out with a comment like this...
    'configuration broken, ignoring restart
    (run 'apachectl configtest' for details)'

...gee... hows that?

14. Sadik

hi mimi_miao, i just went through the whole thread and just thought I would share a few pointers.

1. Are you not able to login to oracle apps from only your machine or any machine on the network?
    2. Since, your OS is Solaris 9, your DBA would have set all startup, shutdown scripts in one place, in one folder. you really need to locate that folder.
    3. When you remote login to your server, you should initially run the environment file, I hope you know how to do that. The environment file is a <name>.env file that sets all proper paths etc. It would most possibly be in the parent folder of your AU_TOP. (that's the AU folder). You need to type
    Code (Text):
    [B]. ./<name>.env[/B]
    (the two dots are required) on the command prompt to apply the environment file.
    4. Once you have done that, try typing cd $ADMIN_SCRIPTS_TOP or cd $ADMIN_TOP (just guessing) to see if you can locate the scripts folder.
    5. If you can find the folder where all your scripts are located you really do need to run the shutdown and startup Apache script (assuming your problem is with Apache).

But my advice really is to get hold of a DBA, even if temporarily, to resolve these issues, which i would say are really very simple for a DBA.

15. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

hi, i dis a little search on metalink for you:

hope this helps

16. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

thanks for the help guys...
    but can I ask if restarting the apache is the key for me to access the E-Business Suite since I can log on to apps, OAM, and even the database thru sql plus or TOAD.

17. Sadik

hi from what you mention apparently, apache seems to be the cause because you are only unable to log into JSP pages.

18. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

hi guys! thanks for helping me...
    I really appreciate it... well it seems that the problem has been solved...
    I can now log on to E-Buss. Suite and Web-ADI... hahah... Thank God for that...
    Thou I'm not so sure if its me who solved it coz I restarted all the services I found in server or bcoz the server was re-started, thou E-Buss Suite didnt work before even you restart the server... well... at least it was solved... gee... things will be quite boring now...
    anyway... Can anyone give me some guidelines for maintaining / tune-up the GL11i?
    or how to maximize the use of it... thanks for the help guys! more power!

19. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

hi, glad you solved it. Since you restarted all services, your apache too got restarted. tune up GL 11i? you mean functional usage of general ledger or u mean the apps server? By the way is your organization only using Oracle general ledger and no other module? just curious :)

mimi_miao likes this.
  20. mimi_miao

mimi_miao Active Member

we are using some sub-ledger system before importing the transactions to Oracle general ledger.
    actually I have doenloaded alot of ebooks for GL11i but I'm looking for a certain ebook or guidelines that might really help me maintaining and know more about GL11i.