1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Duplicates in the results

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by lcd, Jan 22, 2015.

1. lcd

lcd Active Member

Hello! I don't have much experience in Oracle Pl SQL, but I have a complex query, and its bring me duplicates in the data, I used distinct to avoid that but is still duplicating, can someone bring me some light, I really appreciated it!

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

You NEED to show the query you are using.

3. lcd

lcd Active Member

DTSIGuy- its too large to show, let me see if i can get a sample from it

4. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

If you are performing a SELECT DISTINCT..., the results cannot contain perfect duplicates. That may mean that what appears to be a duplicate is really not. For example one result might have 'Fred' in a column and another 'Fred ' (i.e. 'Fred' with a trailing space). Non-displaying characters will still make the results distinct to Oracle.

If you have one or more date fields being returned in the query, by default Oracle displays dates as a whole day (i.e. '22-JAN-14') no matter what hour the date contains. Therefore a date which was from January 22nd at 3:00 A.M. and one from 7:32 P.M. would both show in query results as '22-JAN-14'. Because they are distinct values, a query using the DISTINCT operator would show both rows even though the display made them appear to be the same.

5. RajeshIr

RajeshIr Active Member

hi all,
    using this query to avoid the duplicates rows
    column_name using constraints column
    Select * from table_name where rowid in (select max(rowid) from table_name group by column_name);

6. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You aren't taking into consideration that the actual column_name values aren't distinct and may contain extra spaces or unprintable characters. For example I load a table in this manner:

Code (SQL):

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('David', '32423423Y', 'Street xxxxx');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('David' ,'3422342O', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES (' David', '324234238', 'Street xxxxx');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('David ' ,'34223427', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('John' ,'34223421', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('Maria' ,'34223422', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('Maria' ,'34223423', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('Maria' ,'34223424', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  INSERT INTO t_test_usr_data VALUES ('Maria' ,'34223425', 'Street yyyyy');

1 ROW created.

SQL>  commit;

Commit complete.

Now I use your query to return distinct results:

Code (SQL):

SQL> SELECT * FROM t_test_usr_data WHERE rowid IN (SELECT MAX(rowid) FROM t_test_usr_data GROUP BY user_name);

USER_NAME           OTHER                ADDR
    ------------------- -------------------- -----------------
    David               3422342O             Street yyyyy
     David              324234238            Street xxxxx
    David               34223427             Street yyyyy
    John                34223421             Street yyyyy
    Maria               34223425             Street yyyyy

SQL>

Each record is distinct, and each USER_NAME is distinct because of the extra spaces (either leading or trailing) in the name. Your query is doing exactly what you want it to do; your data, however, makes it look otherwise.