1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Document Uploads and Other- ATTN MOD

Discussion in 'Documents Section Discussions' started by Ramji, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Dear Sadik,

Here is a case for you to consider.

1.Hemkumar has loaded a document which is clutter and earned 20 points for the same. Its 1 page and contains nothing related to apps.
    Now for the same Post he earned 20 points.

2.Now let us take the case of the Oreilly 11G book which I uploaded a few days ago which was removed fearing copyright issues. I am not bringing this to your attention for any personal points. Just thought we can improve the groups day to day functioning...

Now I got the ebook perfectly legally and was sharing it without any commercial or pecuniary aspects involved. Nonetheless you have every right to worry about risks and remove it.

3. Also noticed repetitive uploads of the same document have vitiated the Points system.

4. One last point if any unrelated, useless stuff is loaded , not only should the same be deleted but points should be deducted.

SUGGESTIONS (Similar to Normalization)

IN case 1 above the doc can be deleted and so also the points awarded for a post which does not contribute anything , just adds clutter

In Case 2 a reply can be posted saying that copyright violations will not be tolerated and the individual assumes responsibility for any consequences. You can add a note that the Mod will delete the upload when online and please do not upload such material.

Then say you can let the stuff remain till the end of the day when members can download the book and then use for academic purposes and share amongst other requesters. You thereby share a book worth 40 USD and numerous members benefit .

In such cases immediately on deleting the upload the points should be added nonetheless for the contribution.

Please think it over. Just pointing out anamolies in Earning points as I came across.

Ramji

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Aloha Ramji! :)

The thing about the Docs section is that one does not have to get their docs approved immediately when they upload it. The reasoning is simple, if all docs had to be pre-approved before they were live, people will have to wait until I can check the doc and approve or decline them. Sure several people upload junk. But for the few who upload really useful stuff, I don't want to keep them waiting to get download privileges.

Now due to paucity of time we can't clean up the documents section everyday. If you stick around you will notice that the Document section gets cleaned up twice every week. When it does get cleaned up, junk/repeat docs would be deleted and the points the user earned will be reversed!

Actually you must have noticed that our Documents section is integrated with Scribd. We rely on Scribd as they send a mail every time their document matching algorithm finds a document which they think is copyrighted and hence illegal. As soon as I see the email I have to remove the document. In your case also, Scribd had sent the mail that that doc was copyrighted. So I am not really making random choices.

We try out best to ensure that dupes gets deleted. However if we miss some, and there may be a few, please click on the report button for that document and I will see to it that the later doc (duplicate) is removed.

Exactly happens. Just not immediately. Twice a week is about it.

My answers address some of your suggestions. Of course there is indeed room for improvement. In about two months, again if you stick around, you will be pretty pleasantly pleased with the new features/improvements this site will roll out.!

Regards

3. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Dear Sadik,

Thank you for taking the time . If I am alive should for two months will enjoy the new rollout my friend. I cannot predict now LOL
    ramji

Sadik likes this.