1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Document Management in UCM

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by Preethi, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Preethi

Preethi Active Member

Hi,
    How to get started with Document Management in UCM . I have already installed necessary componets for the same.Any pointers to this will be of great help.

Thanks ,
    Preethi

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hi preeti, i can help you with detailed steps but first tell me which components have you installed? when you say document management, what functionality are you looking for? Have you installed Folders component or Dynamic converter or pdf converter?

what is the business requirement scenario?

3. Preethi

Preethi Active Member

Hi Sadik ,
    Thanks for the response.The business requirement is to capture, index,manage and store paper and image documents, with the following requirements:
    1. It should support the importing and exporting of images in formats such as XML,TIFF and PDF
    2. It should provide metadata based indexing capabilities.
    And User sould be able to perform following actions
    - Create document
    - Update Document
    - Delete Document
    - Read Document
    Component which i've installed are :
    1.ContentCategorizer_10gR3zip
    2. ContentTracker_10gR3.zip
    3. ReportParser_10gR3zip
    4. WebPartsWsdls_10gR3.zip
    5. ContentServerWebParts_10gR3.zip.
    And please let me know other componets which i should install.

Thanks,
    Preethi

4. Sadik

UCM content server would suffice for all your requirements.
    When you say import and export, I presume you mean saving(check-in) the document in UCM and view/search/download it from UCM. If that is so, this again is a standard functionality.

If you want that your microsoft office documents or TIFF images should be available in a browser viewable pdf file format, you would need to install and implement PDF convertor (for general documents) and TIFF convertor (for conversion of TIFF to PDF). Please keep in mind that the Inbound Refinery service would need to be installed for both TIFF and PDF Convertor. Also take a look at Dynamic Convertor if you don't want pdf conversion but want a web-viewable version of your files.
    This again is basic standard function of content server. No issues there. if however, you also want full-text search, meaning searching by content within your documents, you will have to enable FULL-TEXT search in UCM.
    When you say Create document, i presume you mean upload (check-in) a document to UCM, if so, all the above are standard functionalities.
    Components depend on your requirements. You can take a look at folders/WEBDAV component and also Desktop Integration Suite.

5. Preethi

Preethi Active Member

Hi Sadik,
    Thanks again.Am new to this and dont know how to start with .Can u please provide me some documents or links to start with document management in UCM.
    Like how can i upload a document and other stuff.
    And where can i get PDF and TIFF convertor and Inbound Refinery service?

Thanks,
    Preethi

6. Sadik

7. Preethi

Preethi Active Member

Hi,
    Can i get links to some getting started documents.Like how to start with Document Management.

Thanks,
    Preethi

8. Sadik

If you have a working installation of UCM you should start playing with it... that's the best way to learn in my opinion.