1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Do I need to know programming to do Oracle?

Discussion in 'General' started by willactnow, Sep 3, 2009.

1. willactnow

willactnow Active Member

Hi

I am very new to Database. I am very afraid of programming as I think I cant do that. I have decided to go for the DBA. Is in this too we need programming or I can do it more easily?

Also I would like to know from where I should start this journey of becoming a DBA from a General Computer User. Good sites for tutorials, advice, what to do first etc.

I hope I will get lot of good advices.

With Regards

HS

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hello HS

Welcome to the Forum.

To be an Oracle DBA you will need to know sql pl/sql. SQL in my opinion is the easiest programming language in the world. It's like plain english and I have seen guys in their late 40s learn Oracle sql pl/sql from scratch.

About way to learn, the best way is through practice. Get someone who knows Oracle to install oracle database server and related settings on your computer. Get this excellent beginner's book: Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration and practice as much as you can. Look up Oracle's Documentation.

HTH

3. willactnow

willactnow Active Member

Thanks for the expert advice.

Regards