1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

DIS(Desktop Integration Suite) problem with excel 2003 under windows 7

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by mehrva, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

Hello,
    Once DIS installed on a windows 7 computer, we have a problem in excel. When a user does a copy-paste between 2 excel pages, excel crash.
    We have noticed that when we remove the DIS add-ins from the registry, we have no more problem.
    Is there any solution for this problem ?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

Have you talked to customer support about the issue? I haven't heard of this yet.

Can you give me detailed repro steps? What version of DIS are you using (including the build number)? Are you using any other add-ins in Excel besides DIS?

3. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

I'm also in contact with oracle support.
    I'm using DIS 11.1.1.4.0 and I have only DIS addins for excel.
    I want to copy an excel page to a new one. Sometimes when I paste to the new page the excel crash and sometimes when the page is a big page, I have an error message which said the page is too big and it has to truncate it and then excel crash.

4. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

I need a bit more detail. When you click the Help (either in WEI or Excel) you should get a build number like 11.1.4.45. Can you get me that info? I fixed a bug related to the clipboard a few months ago, so I need to know if your version contains that fix.

Also, I need to know exact repro steps. I don't really know what an "excel page" is. Do you mean a worksheet, or are you copying to another document? I created a document in Excel 2003 under Windows 7, added data to a few cells, selected them, and then copied and pasted them to another worksheet in the same document. I didn't get any crash. The more info you give me, the easier it will be for me to repro the crash and fix it.

5. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

In excel help I have 11.1.4.69.
    I open a excel file, I click on the first cell (left to A and above 1) which select all the cells of the worksheet.
    From file menu, I open a new excel document and the excel crash or tell me that the copy is too big and then it crash.
    And sometimes even copying some cells crash the excel.

6. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

I assume that after you selected the cells, you did a Copy command (either from the menu or Ctrl-C) and after you created the new file, you did a Paste command.

7. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

I was able to completely hang my machine attempting to repro this, so I don't want to work on it further until I am actually in the office. But, I have something for you to try if you can edit the registry. Go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (if you can - if not, you can do this in HKEY_CURRENT_USER) and then into Software\Oracle\Universal Content Management\Desktop Integration Suite. Add a DWORD entry and name it "Show Office Menu Bitmaps" (without the quotes). Set it to 0. I am assuming that you are using 32-bit Windows 7. If you are using 64-bit Windows 7, you need to go into Software\Wow6432Node\Oracle\... or use the 32-bit regedit to edit the 32-bit hive (because Office 2003 is 32-bit code). BTW, it would help to know if your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

This will turn off the bitmaps in the menus.

You may be wondering why I suggest this. It's a bit complicated and boring, but it's a limitation of Office 2003 and earlier in which adding the little bitmaps to the menu requires saving and using the clipboard. I think what is happening is that you are creating a huge bitmap when you copy the entire sheet, and our code is trying to save it for you and possibly running out of system resources.

8. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

Thank you for your help and sorry, I forgot to put copy (ctrl c) part.
    My OS is 64 bit. I will try your recommendation as soon as I can and I will let you know (I had a short circuit with that PC ;o)).

9. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

The registry entry isn't going to work. 11.1.4.69 is from November 30, 2010, and I didn't add the check until March. Anyway, we are able to repro the bug in-house now and we're working on fixing it.

10. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

We have verified that if you get the latest version of the client software (which you should have, according to customer support), you can use this registry entry as a workaround. You will not see any icons in the menu, but at least the operation will work.

Note that there are other plugins for Office that will cause this same problem. There is a bluetooth plug-in for Office that I used to have on my laptop that used similar code.

11. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

I intalled the latest version of DIS (11.1.4.71) and tried the registry entry, but it doesn't work.
    And I see the "oracle ucm" menu in excel.
    Something weird is that in the registry I have once "Desktop Integration Suite" in Software\Oracle\Universal Content Management and once in Software\Wow6432Node\Oracle\...
    I tried to uninstall all DIS and reinstall but nothing changed.

12. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

When you set up the registry entry I mentioned, it should still show the Oracle UCM menu. What should be different is that you will not see the icons next to the menu items. The icons are causing the problem.

It is not weird to have both Software\Oracle and Software\Wow6432Node\Oracle entries. In 64-bit Windows 7, there are two registries - one is for 64-bit programs and one is for 32-bit programs. "Wow6432Node" means "Windows on Windows 64, 32-bit node". DIS uses both registries. In your case, you need to set up the entry Software\Oracle\Universal Content Management\Desktop Integration Suite\Show Office Menu Bitmaps and set it to 0 (it needs to be a DWORD, not a string).

13. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

I retried your suggestion for registry entry (add a DWORD entry "Show Office Menu Bitmaps" and set it to 0), I still see the icons next to menus and when I do a copy / paste , I still have the error messages but the copy works and the excel doesn't crash.
    I will do more tests and will let you know.

14. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

The crash is intermittent. We have yet to see a crash, but we see lots of error messages.

I checked, and the earliest build that has the registry entry support is 11.1.4.73. I'm pretty sure we've put out patches since March. You should ask your customer support rep for a new one. They should also be able to verify with you the registry setting. A couple of us here double-checked, and it does work on the current version.

Here's a question for you: Our solution to this problem will probably be to determine if the bitmap in the clipboard is too large to save. In this case, we won't be able to put icons on the menu items. If this happened, would it bother you if this happened quietly? Would you like to see a popup that tells you that you won't see any icons on the menu items? Or would you like to see a popup that tells you that we've destroyed the bitmap in your clipboard?

15. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

I did more tests and you're right, and I had some crashs.
    I'm gonna see with my customer support for a new version of DIS. What is the latest version of it?
    About your question, I think I prefere to have a popup that tells that I won't see any icons on the menu items.
    But, let me ask around me and I will come back to you.

16. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

I believe that the latest released version is 11.1.4.85 (or possibly 11.1.4.86).

As for the popup, we may end up doing that. Personally, I don't care about icons in menus that much, and I'd rather they just silently not be there. I doubt I'd even notice.

17. mehrva

mehrva Active Member

I installed the DIS 11.1.4.79 of June 2011 and the workaround works.
    Thanks again for your help.
    I agree with you that we don't need the icons and neighter a popup as it's only for UCM Oracle menu.
    At first I thought that it will be for all menus.

18. dcell59

dcell59 Forum Advisor

Whew! I'm glad you got the workaround working. Luckily, Microsoft fixed this with the ribbon interface, so it's only a problem for older versions of Office programs.