1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Direct Path Insert

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by prashant, Sep 11, 2010.

1. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi,

I have 2 identical big tables (1 GB size and around 6 million rows).

Inserts to both these tables happen together throughout the day except for 1 stage where only one table is inserted into.

The requirement is to update the second table after this stage with the changed data from the first table.

I have a few options to go about the same.

1) Build up a plsql collection with select * from table1 minus select * from table2 and bulk insert into table 2 from this collection.

2) truncate table 2 each day and insert /*+ APPEND */ into table 2 as select * from table 1.

In the first option the minus query is too costly and takes around 3 mins to execute.

Can you suggest any other option apart from the above mentioned options to achieve the requirement?

Also if option 2 is the best, kindly let me know negative impact if any which could be caused by this.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Prashant

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

I cannot. Not knowing the complete details of this configuration it's difficult to offer options.

3. erpsindhu@gmail.com

erpsindhu@gmail.com Active Member

more details needed