1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Difference between Oracle HTTP server and Apache

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by jay_pink_elephant, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jay_pink_elephant

jay_pink_elephant Active Member

Hi guys, I noticed on our oracle server that Oracle HTTP Server is installed and if i have to bounce "Apache" i actually find the adapcctl.sh script and do a adapcctl.sh stop and then adapcctl.sh start. However while searching online i find that to bounce Apache one needs to find the apachectl process and do apachectl stop and then apachectl start.

So what is the difference between the two? i opened the adapcctl.sh script and in the description it says that
    so what exactly is the difference between this and apachectl? can i instead do a apachectl stop and then start?

thanks for your answers

2. apps_expert

apps_expert Forum Expert

well the Oracle HTTP server is a simple Web HTTPD server based on the Apache Web server so it's not really a new web server or something different from apache, it's actually you can say a "customised version" of apache for use with oracle applications.

About the scripts, the script adapcctl.sh you refer to would be a custom shell script which would start and stop the oracle https server. most likely it would be calling the apachectl process. print the contents of the adapcctl.sh script here and i can analyze it more.

3. Mirano

Mirano Active Member

It looks like you are talking about Oracle Applications 11i http start/stop script.
    It is giving few more parameters like configuration files etc. .. do not use apachectl directly.
    Simply Oracle HTTP Server is repackaged Apache + few more directives and modules like mod_plsql etc.